2014 - Jan 9th - Kirk Session Minutes
Ardnamurchan Parish Church
Minutes of Kirk Session Meeting 9th January 2014
The meeting was held in Kilchoan Primary School and was constituted with prayer and scripture.
- 1.In attendance: Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron, Jim Angus, Val Phillipps, Joan Kelly, Alan Macpherson and Moira Fisher. Apologies – Eilidh Canning.
- 2.Matters Arising
Minutes: The minutes of the previous meeting 4th November 2013 are now on the church’s website and by a link from the Facebook page.
Finance: The treasurer gave a summary of the accounts for 2013. General Fund expenses were £9,119.00. Receipts were £8,933.00 which included £1,000.00 from Gift Aid. The balance is expected to be around £11,000.00. The running costs are slightly more than income. As there are reserves of one year’s running costs, this situation is under control, for now. However, the Kirk Session is aware that this situation cannot continue.
Church Hall costs were £1,100.00 which included costs for heating and painting. Donations received amounted to £2,200.00.
Donations to the Restoration Fabric Fund were £19,000.00. Expenditure was £11,000.00. The balance is now £37,000.00. Although the existing funds will cover some of the costs of the necessary restoration work, they will not pay for all of the work. More fundraising is necessary if the church is to be made fully wind and waterproof.
- 3.Fundraising: It was agreed that a fundraising group should be set up which would include people from the wider community. It is hoped to find someone to co-ordinate a small fundraising group.
It was suggested that a ceilidh could be put on in the summer to raise funds. Wednesday 30th July is the proposed date. Bridget is to provisionally book the Community Centre for that evening.
Fiona is to email the Session with information about Friends of Ardnamurchan Church.
- 4.Property: The annual inspection of the property is due to be done.
Val asked if the Fabric Committee had decided what the next part of the restoration project should be with a view to letting the community know what the expected cost would be. Alan is to look into this.
West wall: Fiona is to get an update on the work being done on the west wall.
Church Hall: It was agreed that rental for the Church Hall should be raised to £150.00 per week.
Sanna Mission Hall: A quote was requested from A. Tough but as yet has not been received. It was proposed that the work on the hall could be done by volunteers and materials purchased with money in the Mission Hall Fund. It was suggested that this work be done in June. There will be further discussion about this at the next meeting in February.
When the work is completed a praise service and barbecue is to be held to celebrate completion. It was proposed that this celebration be held in conjunction with Sunday school prize giving.
Rolls revision: Members now number 16 and there are also 20 adherents. 8 children under seventeen regularly attend church and Sunday school.
Safeguarding: Ken Gill has offered to be Safeguarding Officer for Ardnamurchan and Acharacle Parishes. The Session was happy to accept his offer.
Hymn books: Alan has sourced a Mission Praise book that is compatible with the one used at Acharacle. Alan is to speak with the treasurer at the next Kirk Session meeting regarding funding.
Cosy Cafe: An initial meeting with the High School pupils is to be held in the Community Centre on Saturday 8th February from 2 -4pm.
Stated Annual Meeting: This meeting will take place on Sunday 2nd March.
Dates of Kirk Session meetings: Proposed dates are as follows-
13th Feb, 4/27th March, 1st April, 15th May, 12th June, 11th Sept, 9th Oct, 13th Nov and 11th Dec.
The meeting closed with the Grace.
2013 - November 4th - Kirk Session Minutes
November Kirk Session minutes - it was decided at this meeting that minutes would be displayed on the site and available in the church. The Session hopes this will develop more awareness of and openness about the management and decision making by this church court for the benefit of the congregation and the building.
Ardnamurchan Parish Church
Minutes of Kirk Session Meeting 4th November 2013
- 1.The meeting was held in Kilchoan Primary School and was constituted with prayer and scripture.
- 2.In attendance: Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron, Jim Angus, Val Phillipps, Hugh Cameron, William Kelly and Moira Fisher. Apologies: Eilidh Canning, Joan Kelly and Alan Macpherson.
- 3.Minutes: The minutes for the last meeting 2nd September were agreed. It was agreed that copies of the minutes will be left in the church and will also go n the website.
- 4.Finance: a) A cheque for the sum of £5,000 has been received from the estate of the late J. MacKenzie, Kilmory.
- b) The Sunday school has donated £100 to Mary’s Meals.
- c) It was noted that expenditure is beginning to exceed income - the situation is not critical yet but must be watched closely.
- d) Rev Ogg to look into asking Ella Gill to give presentation to Kirk Session about finance as a prelude to a stewardship campaign and inviting a speaker from the Church of Scotland stewardship campaign.
- 5.Fundraising: a) £80 has been raised from the sale table in the community centre.
- b) May McNicol has made up a list of suggestions for fundraising. May is to be approached to form a small group of helpers to assist with fundraising.
- c) Val has passed on information about grants to Alan Macpherson of the Fabric Committee.
- d) Bridget is to find out who might be available to help when grants are being sought.
- 6.Hymn books: The Session awaits Alan Macpherson’s report.
- 7.Annals: The Session has agreed to fund publishing of the Annals.
- 8.Elders’ Consultation Document: The elders were encouraged to respond to the consultation document and Val Phillipps asked to coordinate the responses - reaction to the amount of paperwork for elders prompted a comment that it was people who mattered not paperwork. Val is to collate comments and send the document.
- 9.Deeds: Nothing has been found in Malcolm MacMillan’s papers.
- 10.Manse/meeting rooms: The possibility of letting the manse/meeting rooms for more of the year was discussed. If the building were to be let out on a more commercial basis, insurance, rates, maintenance and up-keep would need to change. There would probably need to be an upgrade of facilities. On consideration of these points it was decided that there should be no change at present.
- 11.Sanna Mission Hall: Eilidh Canning is to ask A Tough for an estimate to repair the building. This estimate will be compared to the existing estimate. A decision can then be made. Rev Ogg checked on the Scottish Heritage website to see if the building is list and searched the church records; there is no evidence of this.
- 12.Offering cards: Offering cards are now available for anyone who wishes to use them.
- 13.Friends of Ardnamurchan Parish Church: Fiona to attend Community Council meeting to ask if proposed Friends of Ardnamurchan Parish Church may go on next CC agenda.
- 14.Accounts: Noted. The treasurer will discuss accounts with Session at next meeting.
- 15.Restoration: At the Presbytery meeting on 3rd September 2013 it was agreed that we could proceed with repairs to the west wall of the church. Andrew Bradley began this work in October. It is expected that representatives of the Trustees of the Church of Scotland will visit in the spring.
- 16.Presbytery presentation: Fiona to find out if Ella can give the presentation at the next Kirk Session meeting.
AOB: a) General Assembly: The Presbytery elder is invited to go to the General Assembly in May. If the Presbytery elder is unable to go, someone else can go instead.
b) Cosy Cafe: it is proposed to set up a Cosy Cafe for High School children. It is hoped that this can be set up in the new year. It was also suggested that there be an informal family service from time to time.
c) Dates: The Harvest Service took place in the Community Centre on Sunday 27th October. £215.09 was raised for Unicef from Jars of Grace. A discussion took place regarding the venue for Harvest Service. Some members of the congregation have intimated that they would prefer to have the service in the church. This will be discussed at a later date. In the meantime, the Community Centre has been provisionally booked for 14th September 2014.
d) Correspondence: an email had been received questioning the decision, minuted in Sept, to start restoration of the building. Noted.
e) Minutes: it was proposed that next year minutes would be numbered and bound in a new minute book.
Elders’ Day was held at the chalet, Acharacle, on Monday 16th September 2013.
It is proposed to have a Time to Remember service at the joint lunch club in Acharacle on 11th December.
The Glenborrodale carol service will take place on 12th December.
The next meeting will take place in Kilchoan Primary School on Thursday 5th December 2013 at 4pm.
The meeting closed with the Grace.