2015 - Sept 10th

Ardnamurchan Parish Church

Minutes of Kirk Session meeting10th September 2015

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in the church on 10th September 2015. The meeting was constituted with prayer and scripture by Rev Fiona Ogg.

In attendance: - Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Val Phillipps, Moira Fisher, Joan Kelly(Treasurer), Richard Houston (Property Convenor) and Hugh Cameron.

Apologies: - Eilidh Canning, Jim Angus and Will Kelly.

The minutes of the Kirk Session meeting of 25th June 2015 were approved.

Matters Arising

Presbytery Report: Bridget Cameron gave the Session an account of the work of Presbytery. Safeguarding for Sunday School is to be updated. There will be a property review in 2016.

Finance: The Treasurer presented the accounts as at 31st August 2015. £129.00 was raised for Unicef Jars of Grace and £1,231.25, including gift aid, was raised at tea and scones over the summer. There is £14,753.28 in the General Account and £47,913.80 in the Restoration/Fabric account. £2,165.23 was paid for insurance out of the Restoration/Fabric account.

Presbytery Dues: Bridget reported that there is to be a 6% increase in Presbytery dues.

Worship: It was agreed that Fiona would take the service at Kilchoan on every second Sunday when the summer preachers are here.

Messy Church: The next Messy Church is to take place on the first Friday in October.

Organist: Grace was thanked for playing the organ during the summer.

Dates: The next Kirk Session meeting will take place on 12th November 2015. It was suggested that some meetings could take place in the evening to allow those who are at work during the day to attend.

Service of Remembrance – 8th November at 11am Bridget to speak to May McNicol regarding the ordering of a wreath.

Carols at the Castle – Joan to ask if Glenborrodale Castle will be available for the carol service.

Peninsula Carols – 13th December in Strontian at 7pm.

Time to Remember Service - date to be decided.

Christmas Eve Service – to take place in the afternoon.

Property: Bridget to ask Steven White if he can do maintenance work on downpipes and on internal wall where damp.

Fiona to speak to Rosalind Taylor regarding A. Bradley.

Ella Gill has worked hard on finding information about the Heritage Lottery Fund. She has been contacting other Kirk Sessions who may have experience in applying for lottery funding. Since grant applications are difficult to complete it was suggested that we might ask Dale Meagan for help.

Feasibility Study – Fiona to contact Rosalind Taylor regarding her timescale for completion of the study and to ask if she will give the Session regular updates on progress,

The Property Convenor advised that all documentation should go to Presbytery before work starts on the building.

AOB

Summer tea and scones – It was agreed that the summer teas had been very successful both as a fundraising effort and as an opportunity for fellowship. It was decided that we might be able to make better use of space in the future. It was agreed that we should do teas and mince pies during advent.

Data Protection - We are to contact members and adherents to ask for permission to keep their names on our lists.

Elder Training – Elder training is to take place in November.

Moderator’s visit – The Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland is to visit the area on 24th – 29th September 2015. On 26th September the Grasping the Nettle Conference will take place in Fort William, On Sunday 27th September the Moderator will take the service at Arisaig at 7pm and on Monday 28th September he will visit the church in KIlchoan at 2.15pm.

The meeting closed with the Grace.

2015 - April 22nd - Kirk Session Minutes

Ardnamurchan Parish Church

Minutes of Kirk Session Meeting 22nd April 2015

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in the church on 22nd April 2015. The meeting was constituted with prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg.

In attendance:Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Val Phillipps, Richard Houston (Property Convenor), Joan Kelly (Treasurer), Will Kelly, Moira Fisher

Apologies:Eilidh Canning, Jim Angus, Hugh Cameron and Alan Macpherson

Minutes of the previous meeting:The minutes of the Kirk Session meetings of 7th and 15th March were approved.

Matters arising:

Piece for blog: Fiona has submitted a piece for the blog.

Litter pick:The litter pick was a success and the Kirk Session are grateful to the organisers for changing the time.

Coffee morning: The Sunday school coffee morning raised £355. Thanks go to all the people who helped.

Former manse:A thank-you card is to be sent to Lynne McLuckie for her donation of furniture for the former manse. Moira Fisher to do this.

Bridget was thanked for her work at the manse.

Property:

West wall: Andrew Bradley is coming back to fix this.

Roof: Steven White has put back the slates on the roof. We will need to get a copy of his liability sheet. Bridget to do this.

Insurance:The implications of not using the church over the winter to be checked out.

Accounts:

Joan Kelly was thanked for her work on the accounts.

The Treasurer gave us a monthly breakdown of expenditure and income, comparing 2015 and 2014.

Expenditure continues to exceed income.

Feasibility study:The study requires a conservation architect. It was agreed we should get a quote for the feasibility study and see if the General Trustees will pay for it. Rosalind Taylor to be asked for a quote, to include social aspects.

Go For It Fund: If it is necessary to use the Community Centre in the winter, an application can be made to the Go For It Fund.

Membership list: noted.

A membership review could be a winter project.

Visiting preachers: There will be visiting preachers for ten weeks this summer. Mary MacLauchlan will be here on 23rdAugust.

AOB:

Stalls: Val to book stalls for the Regatta and Kilchoan Show.

Dates: Sunday 7th June – Sunday School presentations at Sanna Mission Hall 3pm. There will be a picnic afterwards.

12th June – Jane McNicol and Jamie Isaacson’s wedding.

28th June – peninsula picnic at Kingairloch.

8th July – beginning of teas and coffees in the church each Wednesday in July and August from 10.30 to 12 noon.

2nd August – Songs of Praise at Sanna Mission Hall.

8th August – peninsula churches stall at Strontian Show.

15th August – barbecue at the Wood School at Salen.

30th August – Harvest service at 2pm in the church, followed by afternoon tea.

28th September – visit from the Moderator of the General Assembly.

Date tbc – elders’ training will take place in the autumn.

DONM: 25th June in the church at 3.45pm

The meeting ended with the Grace.

Annual Accounts

Receipts and payments 2014

Sunday school accounts 2014

Trustees annual report 2014

2015 - March 15th - Ks Minutes

Ardnamurchan Parish Church

Minutes of Kirk Session meeting 15thMarch2015

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in the church on 15th March 2015. The meeting was constituted with prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg.

In attendance: - Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Jim Angus, Eilidh Canning, Val Phillipps, Moira Fisher, Joan Kelly (Treasurer), Richard Houston (Property Convenor) and High Cameron.

Apologies: - Alan Macpherson

The minutes of the Kirk Session meeting of 1st February 2015 were approved.

Matters Arising

Property Schedule: The annual check of the property schedule has been carried out. No electricity checks are needed at this stage.

West wall: The contractor has agreed to come back to complete remedial work on the west wall.

Storm damage: A claim form has been sent to the insurance company for damage to the roof. One estimate will be enough.

Publicity: Fiona has written a piece for the Kilchoan Blog.

Litter Pick: The annual litter pick has been timed for 12 noon on Easter Sunday so that the congregation can join in if they wish.

Sunday School Coffee Morning: The Coffee Morning will be held in Kilchoan Community Centre at 10.30am on Easter Monday.

Accounts: The yearly accounts were approved at the SAM. The treasurer has recovered the Gift Aid for 2014. VAT has also been reclaimed. The electricity bill is due shortly. The treasurer has switched to a more economical supplier.

The Session has been informed that insurance could be paid form the Fabric Fund and the Presbytery could be asked for financial help.

Property: - Because of the condition of the church building, it was decided to use the Community Centre for worship during the winter months. A member of the congregation had suggested that we use the former manse for worship. However, as work is being carried out there it would not be feasible. Richard Houston suggested that there might be an increase in the cost of insurance if the church is closed temporarily. The treasurer is to be asked to check the small print on the insurance document.

A feasibility study on the restoration of the church building is to be done. The heater at the back of the church is not working. Enquiries are to be make to see if it can be fixed.

Former manse / meeting rooms: Furniture for the former manse has been donated by Lynne McLuckie. At present the windows are bring painted and decorating is also being carried out in the sitting room.

Sanna Mission Hall: The roof was secured for the winter by Steven White who will carry out the necessary repairs in the summer. The materials required for the job have been sourced.

Attestation of Records: - The Baptismal Roll was attested. The Communion Roll was attested. The Property File was attested as being up-to-date and with evidence of insurance. Child legislation is fully complied with and was attested. Safeguarding arrangements for Ardnamurchan and Acharacle are being dealt with by Claudia Nicolson of Strontian, coordinator for the area.

Worship: - Val Phillipps has organised Women's World Day of Prayer for Ardnamurchan Church for many years. It was suggested that we might do something different next year. In the meantime, Val will order for next year and then a decision will be made.

Dates:

Friday 27th March: Messy Church at KCC

Thursday 2nd April: Service at Kilchoan at 4pm

Sunday 5th April: Easter Service with formal Communion at 11am

Tuesday 6th April: Memorial Service for Ella MacDonald at 2.30pm

Monday 28th September: The Moderator of the Church of Scotland is to visit Ardnamurchan Parish Church in the afternoon.

AOB:

There is to be a wedding at Ardnamurchan lighthouse on 18th April. Rev Fiona Ogg is to officiate.

It was suggested that the Harvest Service be held on 13th September either in the church or at KCC.

Fiona is to attend the meeting of West Ardnamurchan Development Company.

As Alan Macpherson is leaving the area we need a CD player for music. Eilidh has offered to supply us with one.

At the next meeting we will decide if we should have stalls at the Show and Regatta again.

DONM – April 22nd at 7pm.

The Meeting closed with the Grace.

2015 - March 7th - Ks Minutes

Ardnamurchan Parish Church

Minutes of Kirk Session meeting 7th March 2015

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in the church on 7th March 2015

In attendance: - Rev Fiona Ogg (Minister). Elders: - Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Jim Angus, Val Phillipps and Moira Fisher with Alan Macpherson and Hugh Cameron of the Property Committee.

Also present were Rev Donald MacCorkindale from the Presbytery Property Committee with Mike McGruer (Architectural Advisor) and Ken Gill and David Webber.

Apologies: - E Canning, W Kelly and J Kelly.

The meeting was constitutes with prayer by Rev Donald MacCorkindale who also chaired the meeting.

The meeting was called to discuss the future of the church building.

Introductions were made with members stating what they hoped for the future of the building. The Session hoped that the meeting with the Presbytery Property Committee would help to show the way forward.

Rev D. MacCorkindale suggested that the Session should consider what the next step should be. Alan Macpherson pointed out that we are an increasingly mature, small congregation and we are spending more on running costs than we bring in. Moira Fisher said we would need to fundraise as a means of covering running costs. Fundraising last summer was good and also successful in reaching out to the wider community. Ken Gill gave an outline of fundraising at Acharacle Church.

Property: - The tower needs to be repaired. If it were to be removed, permission from Historic Scotland would be required. Planning permission would also be needed. Cost of removal could be as much as restoring it. The estimate for making the church wind and watertight was in the region of £105,000. If it was decided to proceed with complete restoration, Mike McGruer estimated that the cost would be at least four or five times that amount, if not more.

Donald MacCorkindale suggested speaking to Historic Scotland. He also proposed that there might be some sort of visitor attraction in the church. Ken Gill suggested we speak to the General Trustees and use their expertise. He also suggested we ask the community to support us financially.

Fiona gave an account of the work done on the west wall, which is still damp. The builder will come back to try to rectify the problem.

Some options to consider as are follows: -

Presbytery will send a report and is willing to help.

Given the condition of the church building, it was suggested that we have safety notices for the benefit of visitors and the congregation.

The meeting closed with the Grace.

2015 - Feb 1st - Ks Minutes

Ardnamurchan Parish Church

Minutes of Kirk Session meeting 1st February 2015

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in the church on 1st February 2015. The meeting was constituted with prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg.

In attendance : - Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Jim Angus, Val Phillipps, Eilidh Canning, Moira Fisher, Richard Houston (Property Convenor), Hugh Cameron and Ella Gill ( Presbytery Clerk).

Apologies : - Alan Macpherson, Joan and Will Kelly.

Minutes : - The minutes of the Kirk Session meeting of 12th January 2015 were agreed.

1. MATTERS ARISING

Property – The phone number on the notice board has been changed. The plumbing has been checked.

Finance – The accounts were submitted by the treasurer.

2. PROPERTY

The annual check of property schedule is due. Alan Macpherson is to be asked to attend to this. Bridget is to find an electrician for safety checks.

West wall

A. Bradley has checked the wall and is to be asked to complete remedial work as offered. The Kirk Session feels unable to make a contribution towards the cost of scaffolding.

General Trustees

Ella Gill (Presbytery Clerk) who had a meeting with the General Trustees told the Kirk Session that a conservation architect would be needed for accessing funds for restoration. If the Business Plan for restoration was approved the Trustees would probably be willing to pay for the architect's fees. VAT on the work could be reclaimed.

Presbytery

The General Trustees have contacted Presbytery regarding the situation with the church building. A meeting of the Property Committee and elders with a Presbytery working group is to be arranged. The meeting will be chaired by Rev Donald McCorkindale and will include architect Mike McGruer. It may also be possible to meet with others who have experience of similar projects to gain advice. Approval from Presbytery will be required for any future work. Presbytery is aware of the difficulties for the congregation regarding the church building and also how remote we are from alternative places of worship. However, there is a question mark over the future of the building with an eye to the next Presbytery Plan in two years and the changes that it may recommend within Presbytery.

Business Plan

The Business Plan will look at different options. Those might include continuing to repair and patch up, selling the building, using the Community Centre for worship, redeveloping the former manse site for a place of worship or complete restoration of the church building. Those involved in the Business Plan may include people from the wider community and Presbytery who have expertise in such matters. The plans for the future need to be sustainable. At present expenditure exceeds income. The Kirk Session is the decision making body.

Feasibility

It could be that the Go For It Fund could be approached to fund a feasibility study into some of the options e.g. moving to the Community Centre or building on the former manse site.

Funding

Once the Business Plan is completed funding could be sought from various sources. The General Trustees, the Baird Trust, Scotland's Churches Trust, the National Churches Trust and the Lottery Heritage Trust could be approached for funding. The local community could be approached for more regular funding as sustainability remains a major concern.

Timing

Ella Gill told the meeting that the paperwork for the Acharacle restoration took a year to organise before any work started on the building.

Publicity

A piece written for the blog by Rev Fiona Ogg is to include the problem of financial sustainability over the long term.

Insurance

Joan Kelly is to report damage to ridge tiles and roof from the storm of 10th January to the insurance company and ask for a claim form. The contractor may also need to repair more damage.

3. FINANCE

The accounts were approved by the Kirk Session and will be presented to the congregation at the Stated Annual Meeting on 15th March 2015.

4. WORSHIP

The Easter service on 5th April at 11am will include Communion.

5. SUNDAY SCHOOL

The Sunday School Coffee Morning will take place on Monday 6th April. As the annual litter pick can sometimes clash with the coffee morning or Easter Sunday worship, Rev Fiona is to contact Geoffrey Campbell to see if the events could be arranged to dovetail rather than conflict.

DONM

The Kirk Session will meet in the church on 15th March 2015 after the Stated Annual Meeting.

The meeting closed with the Grace.

2015 - Jan 13th - K S Minutes

Ardnamurchan Parish Church

Minutes of Kirk Session meeting 13th January 2015

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in Kilchoan Primary school on Thursday 11th January 2015. The meeting was constituted with prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg.

In attendance :- Rev Fiona Ogg, Elders - Bridget Cameron(Session Clerk), Jim Angus, Eilidh Canning and Moira Fisher. Alan Macpherson and Richard Houston( Property Committee).

Apologies :- Joan Kelly (Treasurer), Val Phillipps and Hugh Cameron

Richard Houston, the new property convenor, was welcomed to the meeting.

Minutes :- The minutes of the last meeting of 13th November were agreed.

1.MATTERS ARISING

Children and Families: -

Messy church needs more adult involvement. It was suggested that it could take place on a different day.

Advent calendars were given to Primary School children.

Pasada was shared around the children again.

Finance: -

Expenditure still exceeds income.

Advent Teas/coffees went well despite power cuts which meant one session had to be cancelled. As well as fundraising, the social aspect of this is much appreciated. It will be repeated in the future.

Easyfundraising has raised £10 in the past quarter year.

Stewardship letter – on going

Property: - Richard Houston is the new Property Convenor

Church Building

The handrail in the toilet has been checked and is fine.

Will Kelly has not heard from the General Trustees.

The new telephone numbers will soon be on the notice board.

West wall – see below

Former Manse/meeting rooms: -

Downpipes, guttering and windows need to be painted. A painter has been contacted.

Glass in the bathroom and bedroom needs to be replaced. Bridget is to organise this.

Some furniture needs to be replaced. Bedroom furniture is available from Lynne McLuckie. Eilidh is to look in recycling shed for chairs.

Deeds – on going

Worship: -

Carols at the Glenborrodale Castle had to be cancelled because of bad weather.

Time to Remember was shared by six people from Acharacle.

Breakfast in church went well with over a dozen for breakfast followed by 30 at worship.

Presbytery stall at Nevis Centre Christmas Fair was successful.

2. FINANCE

Introduction to the annual accounts was approved and will be sent to the treasurer.

There was no treasurer's report as the treasurer was unable to attend the meeting.

3. PROPERTY

The property committee is to investigate the noisy plumbing in the church.

The discussion document was read and debated.

It was noted that, even if the church building was successfully restored, there is currently not enough income to cover the maintenance and running costs of the building along with the running costs of the ministry.

The general Trustees are to be asked if a conservation architect is really necessary given the reports that already exist with schedules of work already outlined.

They are also to be asked if it is possible to continue using the church building in the interim or are there any health and safety issues.

Based on discussion a consensus was reached that

Children and Families

Given the figures in the discussion document it was felt it was important that there be a continued role for the Sunday School, even when the children's parents do not attend church.

DONM Sunday 1st February 2015 in church after 2pm worship

The meeting closed with the Grace.

2014 - Nov 13th - KS Minutes

Ardnamurchan Parish Church

Minutes of Kirk Session meeting 13th November 2014

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in the church on 13th November 2014. The meeting was constituted with prayer and scripture by Rev Fiona Ogg.

In attendance:- Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Jim Angus, Val Phillipps, Joan Kelly (Treasurer), Moira Fisher and Hugh Cameron (Property Committee).

Apologies: - Eilidh Canning, William Kelly and Alan Macpherson.

Minutes: - The minutes of the Kirk Session meeting of 11th September 2014 were agreed.

MATTERS ARISING

Messy Church

The next date for Messy Church is 28th November 2014.

Finance

The Treasurer reported that there is £46,209.22 in the Restoration Fabric Fund.

There is £7,858.41 in the General Fund and £676.76 in the Sunday School account.

One more Gift Aid application is to be made.

There is still concern regarding running costs as expenses exceed income. It is expected that there will be an increase in insurance.

Fundraising

The fundraising this summer was very successful. There will be tea, coffee and mince pies in the church on 3rd, 10th, and 17th December, organised by Joan and Alan Macpherson.

Everyone is encouraged to shop through Easyfundraising. com.

Stewardship Letter

A stewardship newsletter is to be sent out.

Property

Will Kelly has not yet heard from the General Trustees of the Church of Scotland. The Kirk Session and Property Committee are seeking advice from Presbytery and the Trustees. The Property committee and Kirk Session are to speak to Presbytery regarding Presbytery's plan for Ardnamurchan Parish Church.

The Property Committee needs a convenor. Fiona is to ask if Alan Macpherson is willing to take on this role.

Andrew Bradley is returning to look at the west wall which is still damp.

The cracked panes in the former manse/meeting rooms need to be fixed. Title deeds for this property need to be drawn up. Fiona Ogg is to arrange this.

Worship

Sunday 30th November: Formal Communion at 11a.m.

Wednesday 10th December: Carols at Glenborrodale Castle at 6pm

Thursday 11th December: Time to Remember Service at 11am in the church.

Sunday 14th December: Breakfast in church at 10 am before the service.

Sunday14th December: Peninsula Carols in Strontian at 7pm.

Sunday 21st December: Service at Kilchoan at 2pm.

Wednesday 24th December: Family Service at 4pm.

Thursday 25th December: Christmas day Service in Acharacle Church at 10.30am.

Sunday28th December: Songs of Praise (Carols)

Families

Passada is to be given to the children again this year.

AOB

Bridget presented the Presbytery Elder's report.

Presbytery is to have a church stall at the Nevis Centre Christmas Fair.

There will be a stall at Heart and Soul in Edinburgh during the General Assembly.

There are vacancies on National Committees – noted

Copyright renewal for both churches has been done. Data Protection letter and webinar mentioned.

Advent Calendars for Sunday School are to be ordered.

Fiona is to speak to All Round Signs to see if they can change the phone number on the church sign.

Souper Sunday will be held in the Community Centre on 8th February 2015.

DONM Thursday 11th December 2014

Monday 12th January 2015

The meeting closed with the Grace.

2014 - September 11th - KS Minutes

Ardnamurchan Kirk Session met in the church on 11th September 2014 at 4.15pm and recommenced the meeting which was adjourned on 24th August 2014. The meeting was constituted with prayer and scripture by Rev Fiona Ogg.

In attendance: - Rev Fiona Ogg, Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Jim Angus, Val Phillipps, Joan Kelly(Treasurer) and Moira Fisher. Apologies: - Eilidh Canning, Alan Macpherson, Will Kelly and Hugh Cameron.

Hymn books – Almost all of the hymn books have been dedicated

Fundraising – Fundraising over the summer has been very successful. Val was thanked for organising the information and fundraising stalls at Kilchoan Show and Sports and the Regatta. Thanks also go to May McNicol who had a cake stall at the Regatta. The Regatta cakes and raffle raised £292.00.

The tea and scones in the church on Wednesdays raised £1709.00. This was very popular with locals and visitors alike and brought many people into the church on Wednesday afternoons. Many thanks go to all involved.

The Acharacle Craft and Produce Fair raised £328.00. The help given by Acharacle elders was much appreciated. Thanks to May, Bridget, Joan and Alan for their hard work.

The ceilidh in the community centre raised £803.00. Thanks go to the artistes and helpers who gave so freely of their time.

Thanks also to Sheila and Richard Houston for raising £230.00 at their Garden Open Day.

The car boot sale in August was also very successful with some participants donating their takings to the restoration fund.

Property– Roger Dodd of the General Trustees visited the church on 13th August2014. He inspected the building and sent a report. Work on the church is on hold until the Property Committee and Roger Dodd have a meeting.

Church toilet handrail- ongoing

Sanna Mission Hall was secured for the winter free of charge by Steven White who used tin sourced by Hugh Cameron.

Alasdair MacColl and Richard O'Connor have carried out some of the work on the former manse/meeting rooms. The guttering has been fixed and the fascia partly repaired. The down pipes are still to be fixed. The windows at the back need to be replaced. J. Angus is to look to see what needs to be done. As some internal refurbishment also needs to be done there was some discussion about the future of the building.

Sunday school – The Sunday school presentation and barbecue took place at the Sanna Mission Hall. The Sunday school sponsored walk raised £380.00 for Christian Aid.

Peninsula Churches-The barbecue at Salen Wood School took place despite the weather.

Finance - The treasurer reported that there were no outstanding bills. The electricity and insurance bills have been paid. There is £12,927.00 in the General Account and £39,258.00 in the Restoration Fabric Fund. Total fundraising so far is £6,500.00. Donations from visiting ministers came to £1,977.00. Gift Aid from January to June was £800.00. The treasurer said that standing orders for offerings can be set up by individuals.

Worship- Harvest Family Service will be in the church on 21st September. UNICEF jars of grace will be collected. Dried and canned food will be collected for the food bank. Tea, sandwiches and cakes will be served after the service.

The Communion Service will be in November. It is proposed to have Messy Church on 26th September. Bridget is to talk to the children about this at Sunday school.

AOB

Financial assistance can be provided for those attending the Elders' Conference.

Easy Fundraising has approximately £17.00

Acharacle Church invites us to the celebration of the end of their restoration project on Saturday.

The flag at Acharacle may be borrowed by us.

Remembrance Sunday - May McNicol to be asked to get wreath.

Fiona has purchased a ceramic poppy for both churches.

The church will be open for tea and scones on Wednesday 1st October.

A letter has been received regarding the Stewardship Campaign.

A joint meeting of Ardnamurchan and Acharacle Kirk Sessions is to be arranged to discuss the overture.

DONM The next meeting will take place on 13th November 2014.

2014 - Aug 24th - KS Minutes

Minutes of the Ardnamurchan Parish Church Kirk Session and Property Committee joint meeting on Aug 24th 2014, held at Ardnamurchan Parish Church.

Meeting was constituted with prayer.

Attending were Bridget Cameron (Session Clerk), Eilidh Canning, Val Phillipps (check spelling!), Joan Kelly, Hugh Cameron, Jim Angus, William Kelly and Rev Fiona Ogg.

Apologies from Moira Fisher and Alan Macpherson

The meeting was called

1. Payment to RT – there was some discussion as to when payment had been agreed. In the KS minutes of 13th Feb 14 it was agreed (point 5) that, on advice from the architect, Andrew Bradley was to be asked to conduct a feasibility study for an estimate for work needed to repair the south wall. Although not explicitly stated, the architect would be the project manager for this, as had been the case in the work on the west wall.

On the 20th Feb FO emailed the joint committee with the costing of the charges for RT. One member of the joint committees voiced concern about the cost. There being no further comments, on the 25th Feb FO suggested RT's invoice be paid when it arrived and that any further concerns could be brought up at the next KS meeting. (The March meeting was joint with Acharacle.) At the meeting in April the subject was not raised.

At today's meeting it was agreed that the invoice be paid. JK to do this.

2. South Wall. In the minutes of 2nd April 14, under property, it was noted that Andrew Bradley had been instructed, by the architect on behalf of the KS, to give a detailed estimate for work on the south wall. The tower itself was to be repaired at a later date.

According to the inspection and estimate from AB on 9th Feb 2014 this would give a clearer idea of the full extent of work required on the tower and south wall. It would be this inspection that led to the later reports of the 6th of May and 1st of August, of which all members of the committees have copies. (The report of 6th of May was only received on July 21st and sent to all on 24th July. The report of 1st Aug was received on 5th and sent to all on 7th August.)

This work was to include the roof leak on the north wall, see below.


The meeting today was called to decide whether or not to accept the estimate and proposed works of 1st August. The decision was provisional on approval at meeting of the Presbytery Property Committee, Presbytery and the General Trustees. It would not be until all these committees were happy that the Architect would be instructed formally to accept the proposed work by Andrew Bradley.

On July 25th Roger Dodd of the General Trustees phoned FO to inform of a visit to the church on 13th August. RD hoped that FO and or office bearers would be able to attend. At this visit of 13th Aug, RD closely inspected the building; FO, HC and Alan Macpherson were there.


RD looked at the work on the west wall and would like more information about the materials used by AB. He would like there to be alternative reports and estimates for the south wall. RD suggested that the general Trustees would like to be more involved and promised a report; this was received on 18th Aug and sent to both committees on 23rd Aug.

Decisions

After discussion, during which questions were raised about the advice the KS has received from the architect and about the work already done and following on from Roger Dodd's report, it was felt that the best way forward is to

pay the invoice from Rosalind Taylor – JK to do this

not go ahead with Andrew Bradley's proposed work – FO will advise RT

contact Roger Dodd and request a further visit at a mutually agreed date at the convenience of all – FO to set up and WK to follow up

to ask that the General Trustees are more involved so that there could be clear guidance as to the feasibility of the future of the Church building – FO to contact GT

liaise with Roger Dodd and local contractor, A Tough, to provide equipment for access to the bell tower on the date requested above – WK to do this

Contact Historic Scotland for their input; the building is B listed by HS so they should be involved – FO to contact

Leak on north wall – on 1st April it was agreed at the KS meeting to ask Andrew Bradley to investigate the leak – On April 8th RT did this and FO advised the KS and property cttee of this.

Date of Next Meeting

This will be on Sept 11th as previously noted. As today's meeting was not formally closed with the Grace the next meeting will be a continuation of this one that was adjourned today.