2015 - Jan 20th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Tuesday, the twentieth day of January 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2In attendance; David Ogg (treasurer)

1.3Apologies: Marjory MacGillivray

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 4.11.14

2.1The Minutes of 4.11.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2The manse roof; no further forward FO to contact the contractor.

2.3Drainage at manse; It is hoped that the council will include this work in their contract.

2.4Sale of the glebe; this is in the process of being negotiated.

2.5Dehumidifier; EG to follow this up.

3Property

Glebe

Church

3.1Drainage at the back of the manse needs attention. Highland Council is negotiating with the Law department to purchase the glebe. It is proposed that a condition of the sale should be the drainage. The area of land retained by the church should include the small rectangular area at the back of the garden so that the fence line runs in a straight line with the two adjacent houses. KG, FO and DW to attend a site meeting.

3.2 EG to get prices for a dehumidifier for the church.

3.3Schedule for maintenance to be drawn up.

3.4The inside double doors in the church are too tight and heavy.

4Finance

4.1 DO gave an updated financial report (app1)

4.2 Grants from Scotland's Churches Trust (£2,000) and Scottish Churches heritage Trust (£2500) for the restoration. Donations of £50 have been sent to each charity. Photographs of the restoration work to be sent to the charities.

4.3DW to take over the UNICEF collection (£90 2014)

4.4Accounts are balanced and in good order. £20,000 to be continued as the cushion representing the annual expenditure.

4.5Malcolm Poole to be contacted as the independent auditor.

4.6Accounts to be approved by the KS on March 13th and to go to SAM on March 22nd.

5. Worship

5.1 Glenborrodale service had to be cancelled due to inclement weather. All other Christmas services took place and the Posada went well.

5.2 Nevis Centre Christmas Fair – thanks to all who helped.

5.3 World Day of Prayer will be on March 6th at 7.so in the resource Centre.

5.4 Mothering Sunday and Souper Sunday to be combined with a service and lunch at the hall on Sunday March 15th.

5.5 March 1st the service to be taken by the Worship team.

5.6 Worship leading training to take place during Lent on March 12th, 19th, 26th and April 2nd at 10.00 in the chalet.

6. Miscellaneous

6.1 Letter from HC re small lottery registration – EG to respond.

6.2 A suggestion to have a time switch on drive way lights was discussed.

6.3 Manse and church inspection to take place on Thursday 22.1 15 at 10.30 am.

6.4 Inner doors in the church are very heavy and difficult to open. Options were discussed. EG to contact CARTA.

6.5 Pews; discussion about removal of pews and use of the church building. KS asked to consider options.

6.6 Data protection information tabled.

6.7 KG to attend Go For It Fund day course in Dundee

6.8 Information tabled about Fresh Expressions day in Fort Augustus on March 21st, Prayer retreat day at DMac on March 28th sponsorship of the Munro Challenge. Notices to go in the vestibule.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the Grace to meet again in the chalet on Tuesday March 13th 2015 at 10.30 am for approval of accounts and attestation of records.

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

Annual Accounts For Year Ending 31st Dec 2014


Click here to view the accounts

2014 Nov 4th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Tuesday, the fourth day of November, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies: David Ogg

  1. Matters arising from minutes of 5.9.14

2.1Insulation at the manse has been done and the boards laid in the loft.

2.2Roof vents not yet in place.

2.3Service of celebration on September 13th: went well although numbers of members attending was disappointing.

2.4Stewardship letter is underway.

2.5Overture : The overture proposing that Kirk Sessions would have the right to decide whether or not to maintain the traditional position of the church when appointing a minister was rejected by Presbytery 18:6.

2.6Communion Silver; no sale yet

3Property

Glebe

Church

3.1Drainage at the back of the manse needs attention. Highland Council is negotiating with the Law department to purchase the glebe. It is proposed that a condition of the sale should be the drainage. The area of land retained by the church should include the small rectangular area at the back of the garden so that the fence line runs in a straight line with the two adjacent houses. KG, FO and DW to attend a site meeting.

3.2 EG to get prices for a dehumidifier for the church.

3.3Schedule for maintenance to be drawn up.

3.4The inside double doors in the church are too tight and heavy.

4Finance

Report to follow.

4.1National Churches Trust had agreed a grant of £2000 towards the windows. The relevant paperwork is now in order.

4.2£119-15 was donated at lunches yesterday

4.3Jars of Grace were gathered in at the Harvest Service.

5. Worship

5.1 Remembrance

5.2 Elder led services

5.3 Services during Advent

5.4 Family services

5.1 Remembrance; DW to lay the wreath and meet at the gate at 10.50 am.

5.2 Elder led services were discussed.

5.3 Advent:

November 30th will include Communion

Dec 10th Carol service at Glenborrodale at 6pm.

Dec 14th Peninsula Carol Service at Strontian at 7.00 pm

Dec 21st Breakfast before the service at 11.00 am

Dec 24th Carol service at Kilchoan at 4.00 pm and Acharacle at 7pm

Dec 25th 10.30 service at Acharacle

Dec 28th Carol request service.

5.4 Messy Church dates Nov 24th with St Andrew as the theme

Dec 29th for Christmas Party

Advent calendars to be purchased for the churches

Posada to be organised again.

6. Miscellaneous

6.1 Data Protection

6.2 Christmas Fair

6.3 Heart and Soul

6.4 Conferences

6.5 National conferences

6.1 There are new rules regarding data protection, DO, FO and EG all hold data.

6.2 Christmas Fair at the Nevis Centre on Nov 29th

6.3 Heart and Soul; information about congregation stalls on May 17th.

6.4 Conference organised by Cross Reach in Motherwell on Nov 22nd

DW and KG had attended national elder training conference on Nov 24th/ 25th where the Learn booklets were launched.

6.5 Nominations have been requested for national committees

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the Grace to meet again on Tuesday January 20th 2015 at 10.30 am in the chalet.

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2014 - Sept 5th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Thursday, the fifth day of September, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies: Marjorie MacGillivray and David Ogg

  1. Matters arising from minutes of 8.7.14

2.1. May 6th TEC was asked to check safety of some of the trees.

2.2Emergency service file is in the vestry with book of Common Order.

2.3Communion vessels have been sent to Edinburgh for an October auction.

2.4Flag and noticeboards have been purchased.

2.5PAT testing has been done

2.6Windows in the church are finished and silica gel has been place between the secondary glazing.

3Property

Church

Manse

Grouting

Loft

Church; Enquiries to be made about a system which would be compatible with the roof fan to keep the church dry (EG)

Surplus paint from the windows to be left in the vestry.

Manse: Insulation – KD decided to accept the quote from Roddy Black. KG to contact Roddy Black and General Trustees for financial support.

Grouting in the shower needs attention

A section of flooring to be put in the loft around the hatch for storage – Fiona and David Ogg have offered to meet that cost.

4Finance

The finance report was tabled

5. Worship

5.1 Celebration on 13th

5.2 Harvest

5.3 Stewardship letter

5.4 Christianity explored

5.1 arrangements for the service on 13th are in hand.

5.2 Harvest to take place September 28thA buffet in chalet afterwards. Jars of Grace to be collected.

5.3 A stewardship letter to be sent out to members.

5.4 Christianity explored sessions to take place at Kilchoan and then in Acharacle.

6. Miscellaneous

6.1 Holiday

6.2 Chalet

6.3 Overture

6.4 Messy Church

6.5 Glebe

6.6 Easyfundraising

6.1 FO away October 5th and 12th, Elders to take service on 12th and Jean Whitton on 12th.

6.2 There was some discussion about using the chalet for services during the winter months. It was decided to inform congregation that if funds were not meeting outgoings then this option would be considered as a cost cutting exercise.

6.3 A joint meeting to be considered for discussion of the overture

6.4 Messy Church to take place at end of the month.

6.5 Glebe: KS agreed to meet on Sunday after the service to discuss the possibility of selling the glebe to Highland Council for development of the playing field and graveyard

6.6 KS were informed of the Easy fundraising website and were encouraged to use it for internet shopping.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the Grace to meet again on November 4th 2014 at 10.30 am in the chalet.

At a meeting on Sunday 8th 2014 the Kirk Session unanimously agreed that the glebe could be sold to Highland Council

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

Annual Accounts For Year Ending 31st Dec 2013

Click here to view the accounts

2014 - July 8th - Kirk Session Minutes

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the eighth day of July, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.
  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome
1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary). 1.2Apologies: David Ogg 1.3It was noted with sadness that Betty Young, a member from Salen, had died recently.
  1. Matters arising from minutes of 30.5.14
2.1Insulation for manse; on 9/6 a letter had been sent to the General Trustees. Estimates to be sought and the form filled in. FO and KG to action. 2.2Communion vessels – to be disposed of as list (App 1) 2.3Noticeboards; Noticeboards for Church, Tea and Coffee, Lunches and Messy Church to be purchased from All Round Signs. Flag also to be purchased.

2.4PAT testing – halogen fire has been removed. PAT testing is a recommended not a requirement. Charlie to be asked to review everything.

2.5Fire Extinguishers in order.

2.6Messy Church led by Elders went well.

2.7Accounts have been submitted to Presbytery.

2.8Tea towels: Outlets are now: Caroline, Christina, Laura. 5 have been donated to the hall.

3 Property3.1 Windows

3.2 Drive at the manse

3.3 Bell tower and bell

3.4 Lighting

3.5 General maintenance

3.1 A deadline had been given to A. Cameron for the end of June. This has new been exceeded. A letter had not been sent as AC had given a verbal commitment to be finished by the end of June. 2 of the panes of secondary glazing which had been fitted have misted. AC has agreed to contact Rosalind Taylor about the problem. A letter to be sent to reinforce the need to get the job finished and give 4/52 notice.

3.2 Drive at the manse has been surfaced.

3.3 The bell seems to be working. The nylon bush which was tight is now opened up and free.

3.4 The lights in the chalet have been repositioned

3.5 KG commended the Kirk Session on the maintenance of the manse and the church

4Finance4.2 BiblesDavid had submitted an update on the financial situation.(App 2) 4.2 The bibles for school leavers had been ordered and paid. The number to be ascertained earlier in the year.
5. Worship5.1 Restoration dedication

5.2 Worship team

5.3 Back up plan

5.1 A service to acknowledge and dedicate the work done during the restoration will take place on Saturday September 13th. A new visitor’s book to be purchased and an invitation list to the celebration drawn up. 5.2. The worship team service on July 6th was reviewed.

5.3 A back up service to be written and left in the vestry for emergencies.

6. Miscellaneous6.1 Graveyard and School field

6.2 BBQ on Aug 16th

6.1 On 10/6/14 Ian MacGillivray from Highland Council had contacted FO about two proposals of a playing field and access to the proposed burial ground. The two projects are independent of each other but could impact on each other due to queries about boundaries. There were many queries raised and it was decided that a site visit should take place 6.2 Arrangements for the BBQ to be finalised
AdjournmentThere being no further business the meeting was closed with the Grace to meet again on September 2nd 2014 at 10.30 am in the chalet.

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2014 - May 30th - Kirk Session Minutes

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the thirtieth day of May, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.
  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome
1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).David Ogg (treasurer) 1.2The date of the Kirk Session had been arranged for 30.5.14 instead of May 12th as previously intimated.
  1. Matters arising from minutes of 14.1.14 and 4.3.14
2.1Communion Silver: F.O to enquiring into disposing of excess clips. 2.2The ‘Friends of’ scheme is not being pursued. 2.3Small gift aid scheme now registered and beginning to function.

2.4School: due to laborious paperwork related to safeguarding the proposal to begin a lunch group is being deferred. Once the PVG checks and disclosure has been completed by the Church of Scotland it will be considered again.

2.5Mothering Sunday; Taking into account Messy Church and the 2 services on the peninsula 90 people attended services.

2.6Elder led service; this had gone satisfactorily.

2.7The Lund family birthday dates had been emailed.

2.8Vacuum: the blue vacuum has been renovated and is in the church, the other is in the chalet.

3 Property3.1 Windows

3.2 Drive at the manse

3.3 Bell tower and bell

3.4 Display Board

3.5 PAT testing

3.6 Lighting

3.7 Fire Extinguishers

3.8 Insulation in manse

3.9 Services in the chalet

3.1 Messages had been left on Jan 20th as well as during April and May. The Kirk Session expressed dissatisfaction with the delays in completing the work. It was decided that a letter should be sent to Mr Cameron expressing concern and insisting that the work should be completed by June 30th. 3.2 The drive at the manse has been resurfaced and the drain repaired.

3.3 The work on the bell tower still remains to be done. The Clerk to write to Mr Hoevelmann to insist that the work is completed by June 30th.

3.4 It was decided that a new board should be purchased for the front of the church as there have been so many alterations to the existing board.

3.5 The PAT testing has been done. One of the halogen fires is queried and Charlie is to be asked to confirm which one is faulty.

3.6 Lighting: it was agreed that Charlie should be asked to alter some of the lighting in the manse as well as in the chalet.

3.7 There has been no contact from the company which tested the extinguishers – KG to contact them as the annual check is due.

3.8 Roddy Black had estimated £1260 for ventilation slates. An estimate for the insulation is still needed.

3.9 It was proposed that the congregation should move into the chalet for the Sunday services during the winter months to economise on heating and to provide more comfort.

4Finance4.1Insurance

4.2Accounts update

4.3Small gift aid

4.4Tea Towels

4.5 Payment of bills

4.6Donations notices

4.7Banking

David presented an update on the financial situation.(App 1) 4.1 Insurance on the church buildings has been paid (£913pa). Insurance value is £965,000 for the church, £26,500 for the chalet and £324,000 for the manse. Public liability certificates are to be displayed both in the church and chalet. The garage is to be added to the insurance cover.

4.2 Accounts; The independent examiner had returned the accounts but had omitted signing the form. Once this has been received the accounts can be accepted by Presbytery and OSCR.

4.3 The number of opportunities for using the small gift aid scheme is to be explored.

4.4 Tea towels: As there are a number of tea towels in stock it was decided to approach the outlets and ask if they would like to buy a number and then charge their own fee. At present all the money is collected and is given to the church, this was the outlet would make a small profit. It was felt that it was more important to reduce the stock.

4.5 It was agreed at the SAM that David should be given authority to pay regular bills – this was confirmed to be the case as below:

Directions to the Treasurer in respect of payments from the Church funds.

You are authorised to pay single invoices or required payments not exceeding an individual value of £100.

You should advise the Church Session promptly if such individual payments total more than £250 in any one month.

You should refer any invoice exceeding £100 to the Church Session for authorisation prior to payment.

You should advise the Kirk Session promptly of any unusual or financially significant event.

You should refer any matter of doubt to the Kirk Session through the Session Clerk.

4.6 It was noted that notices asking for donations should now not specify the restoration fund so that monies can be deposited in the general fund for the running of the church.

4.7 Internet banking has now been organised.

5. Fund raising5.1 It was agreed that a professional board advertising tea and coffee and another advertising lunches should be purchased. 5.2 Souper Sunday to be considered.
6. Worship6.1 Restoration dedication

6.2 Worship team

6.3 Back up plan

6.4 Service of the linkage

6.5 Messy Church

6.6 Heart and Soul

6.7 Pentecost

6.1 A service to acknowledge and dedicate the work done during the restoration is to take place. End of August would seem to be a convenient time. EG to liaise with Jessie Cameron and others. Church flag to be designed. 6.2 Worship team led services: It was felt that more practice was needed during services with Fiona as well as when Fiona is away. The next worship team service is on July 6th.

6.3 A back up service to be written and left in the vestry for emergencies.

6.4 There will be a joint service with Kilchoan on August 10th at Kilchoan with a service next year in Acharacle.

6.5 Messy Church will be at the end of June and then there will be a break during the summer. The change to Mondays seems to be working well.

6.6 Ken and Fiona will give a presentation about Heart and Soul in July

6.7 The service on June 8th is celebrating Pentecost and there will be a bring and share lunch in the chalet afterwards.

7. Miscellaneous7.1 War Graves

7.2 Peninsula Picnic

7.3 Churches Together BBQ

7.4 Food and Hygiene

7.1 Contact had been made by the war graves commission requesting permission to put a sign on the graveyard gate. They were redirected to Highland Council. 7.2 Peninsula picnic will take place on Sunday June 22nd at Kingairloch.

7.3 Churches Together barbecue will be at Salen Wood School on August 16th.

7.4 Food and Hygiene Course: Fiona, Maureen and Ken attended a Food and Hygiene course on Monday May 26th

AdjournmentThere being no further business the meeting was closed with the Grace to meet again on July 8th 2014 at 10.30 am in the chalet. Future meetings Sept 2nd and 4th Nov

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2014 - Annual Stated Meeting, April

Once a year there is a Stated Annual Meeting of each congregation; it's a quite like an AGM of a company.  At this meeting the minutes of the previous year's Meeting are approved - so here are the minutes of last year's Meeting.

At Acharacle, and within the church, the fourteenth of April 2013, which place, date and time the Stated Annual Meeting was convened and constituted with prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.
  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome
1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Marjory MacGillivray, Ken and Ella Gill (elders). 1.2Members of the congregation; Chris Millar Craig; Maris Buchanan, Sheila Paterson; and two visitors. 1.3Apologies from Maureen and David Webber, Margaret and Andrew Green
  1. Minutes of 25.3.12
The minutes of March 25th 2012 were accepted as a true record. Agreed
  1. Accounts
The accounts and budget were not available for this meeting although they had been attested by the Kirk Session. It was decided to make them available over the next few weeks and convene a short congregational meeting once members had seen them...
  1. Matters Arising
4.1 Bell: KG is to contact Ulrich Hoevelmann as the bell is still not working and a payment of £6000 has been made for this work. 4.2 The doors are to be painted this summer.

4.3 An estimate had been received for the ramp and handrail which was in excess of £1000. This was felt to be too expensive and the fabric committee will attend to this.

  1. Office bearers
Office bearers and all those who help in the work of the church were thanked for their continued support.
  1. Session report
The clerk reported; 6.1 Congregational statistics: The roll number at the end of 2012 was 40

There had been 6 weddings and 7 funerals and 0 baptisms

6.2 Summary of Kirk Session meetings

The congregation is reminded that these are open meetings and a copy of minutes is made available after the meeting for those who would like them. Presbytery reports are also available after meetings in the form of the Presbytery Précis and full minutes can be seen on the Presbytery website.

The main agenda items have been fundraising, restoration and maintenance and youth work all of which will be raised later:

Charitable collections: it was decide that from time to time there would be retiring collections for specific charities.

Fund raising and Bazaar: there has been a regular approach to fundraising with lunches taking place monthly and tea/coffee morning twice each month. This has proved successful and the decision of whether or not to hold a bazaar can be discussed.

Constitution: The process is underway to move to a Unitary constitution. At present we are a Quoad Omnia constitution where the Kirk Session is responsible for both Spiritual and financial matters of the church. The Unitary constitution reflects this but in a written form and so this is clearer and also complies with charitable regulations.

Less formal communion has taken place throughout the year on a monthly basis in addition to the more formal service

Communication: the website and Facebook page are proving popular and last month the times of church services for April were sent out to church members.

Mission Partners: Our Mission partners from Zambia, the Lund family are coming for a visit in September and a programme is being arranged for them by the mission group in Presbytery.

Date of SAM – this had been deferred until today due to a delay in preparing the accounts

  1. Property
Ken Gill reported on the work which had taken place in the last 12 months; 7.1 The chalet had been painted, the manse window surrounds had been painted, and a garage had been erected at the manse. For which the church received a £6000 grant from the General Trustees. 7.2 Internal windows; there are 2 left to restore.

7.3 The church now complies with Fire regulations and there is an agreement in place to have regular inspections.

  1. Youth work and outreach
8.1 Rev Fiona Ogg reported that Messy Church continues to be held on the last Saturday of every month. Attendance varies from 6 or 7 to 40. 8.2 Fiona goes into the primary school every fortnight and the nursery children have been to the chalet and the primary school children have been into the church. It is hoped that these visits will continue so that the children feel comfortable in the church. 8.3 Sunday School is not meeting at present as there is no one who is able to commit to taking this consistently during term time.

8.4 The craft group had knitted the nativity figures which had been taken to the children’s homes during advent and then back into the church for Christmas.

8.5 There have been some visiting preachers during 2012 as well as friends from the Bethesda charity talking about their work.

8.6 Fiona has been involved in assemblies in the Primary School and also the High School as well as attending Ewen’s Room meeting.

8.7 Pastoral visiting is continuing and Fiona asked to be told of anyone who was in need of a visit.

8.8 The monthly lunches held in Shielbridge Hall and fortnightly coffee mornings held in the chalet provide time for fellowship and outreach.

8.9 The annual picnic and carol service in conjunction with the other parishes on the peninsula facilitates engagement with the wider church.

  1. Bible Group
This continues to meet on Mondays in the chalet during term time.
  1. Safeguarding
The church is slightly further on with complying with the regulations. 10.1 There is a Safeguarding Panel in place which will serve both Ardnamurchan and Acharacle. 10.2 Coordinator training should take place this year.
  1. Adjournment
There being no further business the SAM was closed with saying The Grace

Minister Session Clerk