2016 - April 11th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Monday the eleventh of April at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg. The KS had been rescheduled from 8.4.16 to 11.4.16.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary). Apologies; Marjory MacGillivray

1.2In attendance for financial report; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Pastoral visiting

There was a discussion about pastoral visiting for all members of the community after bereavement.

It was decided that FO,DO and EG would meet to produce a visiting card with contact details for the church which could be left at such a visit to be presented at the next Kirk Session for final agreement.

  1. Finance

The financial report was presented by David Ogg (app 1). David was thanked for his work as treasurer and asked to thank Jon Haylot for his help in inspecting the accounts, a token of gratitude to be given to Jon.

The accounts have been attested by Presbytery and have been sent to 121 as required. They will be submitted to OSCR in due course.

They will be uploaded to the church’s website.

A budget for mission was agreed. DO advised that finances are robust enough to support the work of the church as well as maintaining a cushion of £20,000.

DO left the meeting after this item.

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 12.2.16 and 20.3.16

3.1The Minutes of 12.2.16 and 20.3.16 were accepted as a true record with some clarification of 3.7 pg 113.

Windows; Secondary glazing has been removed from affected windows and painted areas treated with anti fungal spray on affected windows.

3.2Glebe; the sale is hopefully progressing.

3.3Weekly gift aid envelopes to be ordered.

3.4It was agreed that the Presbytery Elder could claim travel expenses for the Presbytery meetings.

  1. Mission

Exploring the God Question will commence as a joint enterprise with the Free Church on Thursday 14th April in the Community Centre.

  1. Worship

6.1 Kinlochmoidart

6.2 Review of chalet

6.3 Children

6.4 Joint service

6.1 FO proposed holding a series of short mid week services for 6 weeks at Kinlochmoidart with the Episcopal Church. KS agreed.

6.2 It was not yet possible to review the cost of holding services in the chalet over the winter as no bills had been received.

6.3 It was decided to make space available at the front of the church beside the front pew for any children attending.

6.4 A joint service with Kilchoan to be scheduled.

  1. Dates

7.1 Heart and Soul

7.2 Strontian Show

7.3 Installation of Moderator

7.1 May 22nd Heart and Soul local will be held in Fort William at the same time as the Edinburgh service. KS agreed that the service in Acharacle should be cancelled to allow attendance. Numbers who wish to attend to be ascertained and transport considered.

7.2 Aug 13th Strontian Show; Volunteers sought to help with manning the church stand.

7.3 June 14th; EG to be installed as Moderator. Service at 4pm in Acharacle, tea in the Community Centre with the Presbytery meeting also in the centre. Jessie has been asked to do flowers for the church.

  1. Property

8.1 Manse fencing and lock

8.2 GCF quote

8.3 Highland Council

8.4 Sustainability of church buildings

8.5 Weeds at manse

8.6 Central heating in manse

8.1 Manse fencing is in place.

Toilet door lock has been fixed – thanks to Hugh.

8.2 GCF have been asked to quote for;

Church;Replace inner doors

Check and clear rainwater goods on church

Inspect and repair leak in roof

Inspect and repair leak at gable end – probably in lead flashing

Replace filter in fan

Back corridor; repair cracks and replaster

Replace window

Replace lintel above door between corridor and church

Manse;Treat outside walls with fungicidal paint

Renew outside paintwork

No quote received to date – DW to contact GCF

8.3 Highland Council had responded to the letter with a visit;

They are very short of funds but will undertake to;

Repair the crack in the wall in the graveyard and Memorial gate as well as take down the trees at risk in the area beside the footpath.

They have removed the uprights to the gate to make access easier.

Gravestones are the family’s responsibility and they have no money to re-establish the pathways in the old graveyard.

Chalet veranda has been cleaned – thanks

Sustainability of church buildings; there was a discussion about the use and sustainability of the church building. More discussion necessary as the KS considers a 5 year plan.

Weeds at the manse to be treated with Round up between 4/7/16 and 11/7/16.

8.6 The central heating in the manse is 15 years old and was causing problems last winter. Andy Tilling is aware of the problem. At present it is working and being monitored.

9. Kirk Session dates

10.6.17

18.11.16

All at 10.00 am for coffee to convene at 10.30 for business

10.AOCB

10.1 Spring Festival

10.2 Support groups

10.3 International evening

10.4 Stepcount challenge

10.5 Holiday

10.1 Loch Shiel Spring Festival; The church will be a venue for a concert on Saturday. Arrangements for this were made.

10.2 FO had had discussions with the GP surgery to explore the possibility of support groups for elderly who were becoming dependant as well as carers of family members with dementia. It had also been noted that there were not as many groups for men in the community as there are for women and the church might also be able to respond to this need.

10.3 There is to be an International Evening in the School.

10.4 Stepcount challenge; a team from the church was suggested but there were no takers!

10.5 Holiday; FO will be away 2nd, 9th, and 16th October as well as Nov 20th.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on June 10th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2016 - Feb 12th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the twelfth of February at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).Marjory MacGillivray, David Ogg (treasurer)

1.2In attendance Jean Whitton

  1. Finance

The accounts were presented by David Ogg and Kirk Session approved them. David was thanked for his work as treasurer. DO left the meeting after this item.

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 27.11.15

3.1The Minutes of 27.11.15 were accepted as a true record.

3.2Glebe; no change in the status but the graveyard is complete and trees are being planted.

3.3Data protection letters have been sent and only an amendment to one address received in reply.

3.4Drainage at manse; there is still water standing in spite of some remedial work by HC. Eenie to dig further drainage channels and to liaise with Alastair Cameron to ascertain where the drainage system is located.

3.5There is a stick marking the tap which controls the water supply near the entrance of the graveyard – this to be replaced by a more robust marker.

3.6GCF still to come and assess the passage. Fungal paint purchased for the area above the entrance.

3.7Windows; Secondary glazing has been removed and painted areas treated with anti fungal spray.

3.8Worship; Advent calendars were distributed and the remainder were sent to Cumbria as part of the relief effort after the flooding.

3.9Messy Church Christmas Party went well – thanks to all who helped.

3.10Breakfast before the service on Dec 20th was well attended.

3.11All the services for pre Christmas took place.

3.12There was a representative attendance at the service for Christian Unity.

3.13God Question; this was planned for Lent but the Free Church are unable to participate and so this will be deferred. This will take place in the Community Centre and will be ecumenical.

3.14Use of the chalet: It had been decided to use the chalet during the months of December, January and February as these are usually the coldest months. Comments had been submitted by Mike and Jean Whitton.

It was proposed that in future services remain in the church during December and that a strategic plan be put in place to ensure safety. Jean Whitton left the meeting after this item.

  1. Mission

The God Question will be an ecumenical programme.

  1. Worship

5.1 Messy Church in January was postponed due to lack of people to run it.

5.2 March Messy Church date would fall during the school holidays and so will not be held.

5.3 Easter Service on Thursday/Friday to be arranged

5.4 SAM to be held after the 2pm service on March 6th when records will be attested. Reports to be collated and forwarded to members prior to the meeting.

5. Property

5.1 The quote for the inner doors is still outstanding.

5.2 KG to contact GCF re back corridor. The 2 angle irons have been removed

5.3 The back wall is to be painted with anti fungal paint.

5.4 Gutters need to be cleared.

5.5 There is a leak at the back of the church on the left side – Roddy Black to be asked to check this when he examines the gable end.

5.6 There are a number of issues which HC should address; the Memorial gate and the cracked wall as well as the gate posts at the exit of the church near the graveyard. A letter to be sent.

7. Presbytery

EG is to be installed as Moderator for Lochaber Presbytery. This will involve a service in Acharacle Church on June 14th. The hall or the centre to be booked for tea and the Presbytery meeting.

8.. Kirk Session dates

8.4.16

17.6.16

16.9.16

18.11.16 all at 10.00 am for coffee to convene at 10.30 for business

9.. AOB

Enveloped for gift aided offering should be purchased.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on April 4th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2016 - Stated Annual Meeting

The Annual Accounts are here

2016 - Stated Annual Meeting

At Acharacle, and within the church, the twentysecond of March 2015, which place, date and time the Stated Annual Meeting was convened and constituted with prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Marjory MacGillivray, David Webber, Ken and Ella Gill (elders).

1.2Members of the congregation; Chris Millar Craig, Sheila Paterson, Margaret and Andrew Green, Cath Murray, Grizel Galloway,

1.3Apologies from Jean Whitton and Maureen Webber

1.4In attendance Mr David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes of 9.3.14

  1. Reports and Accounts

The minutes of March 9th 2014 were accepted as a true record. Agreed

Reports of the activities of the church had been emailed to members and were also tabled and are incorporated into these minutes.

The accounts were tabled

  1. Worship and outreach

Report from

Rev Fiona Ogg

Within the Church building, services of worship are held every Sunday with extra services at Easter and Christmas.

Within the local community, family services, eg Harvest Thanksgiving, and Messy Church have been held in the village hall.

During holiday periods the congregation expands to include those who have holiday homes and those who are visiting the area.

A Bible Study Group meets on Monday evenings in the Chalet next to the Church.

The profile of the faith community has been raised by fund rising events that build links between the congregation and local community. Within the wider community there is involvement in local schools and by participation of individual church members with many local organisations.

There was an information stall at various local events and the church was represented at the General Assembly’s Heart and Soul event.

Social events are arranged throughout the year for fellowship as well as ministry.

Over the year there have been a number of new initiatives piloted.

There have been breakfasts before some services; this follows on the success of those services where fellowship continues over lunch. Songs of Praise services have taken place twice over the year.

Over 70 people were at the Celebration service that marked the completion of the major restoration work.

  1. Finances

The accounts were presented in a simplified form as well as the OSCR format.(app1) The simplified format was much appreciated.

It was proposed that one of the monthly lunches donations should be given to an outside charity. Agreed. Thanks were given to David for taking on the role as treasurer and to Sheila Paterson for her previous work as treasurer. Andrew Green was thanked for his assistance as well as Malcolm Poole, the independent examiner.

  1. Session report

Elders

Children and families

Linked Parishes

Ecumenical engagement

Kirk Session meetings

Schools

Social activities and fund raising

6.1 During the year there was one Baptism, four weddings (two of which were out in the local area) and four funerals.

Sunday services continue alternating times with Ardnamurchan Church and included a joint service. Membership of the church is now 38 as 2 of our members sadly died during 2014.

Attendance at the services has varied throughout the year and although this can be disappointing would seem to be a reflection of a national trend.

Elders. Elders have fulfilled their duties with joy and enthusiasm. They have participated in national conferences which has enabled the views and experiences of those in rural and remote ministry to be heard by others.

They participate regularly in worship and are developing a Worship Group.

Housebound and ill members of the congregation and other parishioners are visited by the elders.

There was an Elder’s Training Event and a mini series of four more is underway.

Messy Church changed to being held monthly on a Monday after school and continues to attract a wide range of age groups. Grandparents come along with grandchildren and mix with other family groups; there have been people without children, which is an encouraging development. This craft based activity continues to be popular. At Easter and Christmas children left with Easter eggs / Advent calendars that contained the story of the special time.

Linked Parishes. A joint service with Ardnamurchan, normally held at Christmas at Glenborrodale Castle, had to be cancelled due to inclement weather.

Ecumenical Engagement. The annual Carol Service was held in Strontian involving the congregations of Ardnamurchan, Acharacle, Strontian, Morvern and Ardgour, representatives from the Free Church, Roman Catholic Church, Episcopal Church and the Orthodox Catholic church.

The World Day of Prayer was a joint service with the local Roman Catholic Church. Two ecumenical services were held, one prior to the Referendum and the other after the vote.

Peninsula-wide Activities. These included the Annual Picnic, a Carol Service and a barbecue.

Pilgrimage Trail. The congregation were pleased to join in a service of worship with an ecumenical group travelling across the peninsula on their way to Iona.

Kirk Session. The Kirk Session met six times during 2014 and complies with administrative legislation of the Church. There was a joint meeting with the Kirk Session with the linked parish of Ardnamurchan.

Schools. Links are being strengthened with the involvement of the minister as, effectively, a classroom assistant. The minister also regularly reads Bible stories to the Nursery School. The minister also participates in Assemblies at the local High School.

Social activities. Monthly lunches continue to be held in Shielbridge Hall and fortnightly coffee mornings at the church.

Fundraising. Continued commitment to this in the form of monthly lunches, fortnightly Coffee Mornings and various other activities have resulted in a necessary and sustained boost to the income.

In Summary. There is much going on and when analysed there are few areas of local life in which a church member or adherent is not involved: it is encouraging to know that those involved simply live out their faith wherever they are and whatever they are involved in. As is usual for a Parish of this size, the percentage of the population that participates in church activities, and the number of local activities in which church members are involved is much higher than the actual figures indicate and this gives a hope that faith continues to matter to the people of the Parish.

  1. Property

Report from Ken Gill

Restoration

Maintenance

Glebe

Miscellaneous items

Manse

The restoration of the church building is complete and a service of dedication and thanksgiving was held in September 2014. CMC commended the work of the team involved in the restoration programme. The church windows were completed and no further major works remain.

The bell bearings have been freed. The bell now rings without sticking.

Maintenance of buildings is regularly scheduled.

The Glebe. Highland Council has been leasing part of the glebe for several years and has approached the Law Department in Edinburgh to purchase the majority of the glebe. This will give both access to a proposed extension to the burial ground and space for a sports field for the community and adjacent school. A small area has been retained to extend the manse garden in line with adjacent properties. The Council have agreed, as a condition of sale, to address the drainage which may reduce the manse garden flooding

The main sign has been re worded.

The faults with the outside speakers has been rectified.

The main doors have been re sealed.

One of the outside benches was unsafe and removed, a granite replacement has been donated.

The manse loft has been insulated .

The manse drive has been resurfaced

An attempt at improving the drainage around the rear of the manse was made but still requires attention

The en suite has been regrouted.

A drip in the loft has been sourced and cured

A small leak in the chalet roof has been sealed.

Air tiles are still to be fitted in the manse roof. The roofer is to be asked to look at the wet area on the bell tower wall

The cracks associated with the kitchen /lavatory extension are being monitored.

Minor issues are addressed when identified e.g. Rainwater blockages , painting etc.

  1. Bible Group

Report from Jean Whitton

The Bible Study Group continues to meet on most Mondays throughout the year. We do not meet on Messy Church days as a number of the group are also involved with this outreach activity. We have some short breaks at holiday times. We meet in The Chalet starting at 7pm and aiming to end around 8.30pm.

Whilst the word ‘study’ appears in the group name, this most certainly does not mean that we are ‘dry academics’!! We aren’t experts and don’t claim have the answers to every question raised.

We have wide ranging discussions with plenty of laughter as well as serious thought. We use a variety of courses to help us explore The Bible, relating it to daily life and so deepening our understanding of our faith – what it means to be a Christian.

We have looked at:

• The composition of The Bible, how it came to be as we have it.

• Individual books e.g. Isaiah

• Characters in The Bible e.g. Mary Magdalene

• Themes e.g. Covenants

Not everyone attends every session, people can come and go as they wish – the courses are designed to be meaningful even if people cannot attend every session.

  1. Safeguarding

Mrs Claudia Nicholson has taken over as safeguarding coordinator for Acharacle and Ardnamurchan. All disclosures have been completed and are in order.

  1. Rotas

Grateful thanks are given to all who help in the running of the church from providing the music, maintaining the building, cleaning, providing flowers, refreshments after the services and reading the lesson. It is disappointing that our group of helpers who participate in this way have become depleted over the last few years but we have a new recruit this year as Ailsa has agreed to go on the rota.

  1. Presbytery report

Mr David Webber has been the Presbytery Elder for Acharacle this year. Other members of the church involved in Presbytery are Rev Fiona Ogg, Mr Ken Gill as property convener and Mrs Ella Gill as Presbytery Clerk.

All members of Presbytery are expected to participate in the work of Presbytery through the working groups. Rev Fiona Ogg is a member of the ministries working group and has been involved in the local church reviews for Glencoe and Duror. Mr David Webber is a member of the Property working group and has been involved in the committee surveys of various church properties during the course of this year. Mr Ken Gill is the convener of this group.

Mrs Ella Gill is Interim Moderator for the vacant charge of Glencoe and Duror.

Presbytery meets 6 times during the year to consider both local matters as well as the remits sent down from the General Assembly.

Part of the remit for this year was the overture sent to Presbyteries to consider the proposals for ministers and deacons in civil partnerships made at the General Assembly of 2014. Lochaber Presbytery voted against the proposal to allow Kirk Sessions to make the decision to depart from the traditional position of the Church in relation to human sexuality 18:6. However, a majority of Presbyteries voted in favour of the proposal and so it will go to the General Assembly this year. 32 Presbyteries voted in favour and 13 against. This equates to 71.1% in favour and 28.9% against. 1391 members of Presbyteries voted in favour and 1153 against. This equates to 54.6% in favour and 45.4% against.

  1. Adjournment

There being no further business the SAM was closed with a blessing.

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - Nov 27th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the twenty seventh of November 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

The meeting was begun with a discussion about the relative amounts of time dedicated to property and finance compared with worship and mission on the KS agenda. Mission in the context of community life was discussed. It was agreed to begin each KS with a roundup of mission and out reach in which members had been involved since the last KS.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies; Marjory MacGillivray, David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 11.9.15

2.1The Minutes of 11.9.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2The date of this Kirk Session had been moved from November 13th to 27th due to members being unavailable.

2.3Glebe; no change, permission still not granted. HC want to purchase a piece of land in Alness and are proposing to tie in the purchase of Acharacle glebe with this.

2.4Messy Church was very successful – thanks to everyone.

2.5Remembrance; Service on 8th was in the church due to inclement weather and had been satisfactory. Church linked with the community on 11th at the Memorial Gate.

2.6Data protection letters have been sent and only an amendment to one address received in reply.

2.7Dr Buchanan’s visit to Uganda; KS agreed to assist with the cost of excess baggage.

3.Finance

3.1 Summary of finances attached to these minutes.

3.2 It was agreed that an annual letter asking for funds should be sent to members in the spring.

3.3 It was suggested that Nadurra could be used for a joint KS and the fee met from funds.

3.4 A replacement Common Order has been bought.

4. Property

4.1 Manse: pooling of water is getting worse. A ditch to be dug (FO to contact Eenie). HC and FO inspected the drainage on Nov 25th.

4.1.2 Fence still needs to be erected (HC)

4.2 1Glebe;Graveyard complete apart from seeding.

4.2.2 Trees will be planted in the bund in spring.

4.3 General;2 trees at the front need to be felled as rotten

4.3.2 Water pipe broken by Broadband engineers has been mended but the control tap is above ground and should be re positioned.

4.3.3 Hugh Cameron to be asked to join the property team. (PT)

4.4 Chalet;Problem with the door – (PT)

4.5 Church interior;GCF to be asked to quote for the work on the back wall outlined by CARTA.

4.5.2 Fungi check – anti fungal paint to be applied to the wall above the door.

4.5.3 Windows; lower part of secondary glazing the be removed on affected windows and anti-fungal paint applied (PT)

5. Worship

5.1 Messy Church Monday 30.11.15. Advent calendars will be distributed and the remainder sold at lunch on 7.12.

5.2 Christmas Party; Mon 28th

5.3 20.12.15 Breakfast at the manse before the service

5.4 It was decided to use the chalet for services during December, January and February.

5.5 Service: Kilchoan have suggested service time change. No details available. No disagreement in principle but KS would need details before agreeing.

5.6 Services; Glenborrodale Dec 9th at 6pm

Time to Remember Dec 11th 11.00 am

Peninsula carols Dec 13th at 7.00 pm

Christmas Eve 7pm

Christmas day 10.30 am

Christian Unity Jan 18th at 11.00 am in Resource Centre

6. Kirk Session dates

12.2.16

8.4.16

17.6.16

16.9.16

18.11.16 all at 10.00 am for coffee to convene at 10.30 for business

8. AOB

8.1Recent visits; Moderator’s visit went well – thanks to all involved. There was a visit to Lochaber from 3 members of the Emmasdale Church in Zambia in early November and there will be a reciprocal visit to Zambia by representatives from Lochaber next year.

8.2 Joint working with the Free Church; The God Question in Kilchoan was well accepted and a course in Lent in Acharacle is being considered.

Joint future plans; Christmas unwrapped in Acharacle Primary

Summer holiday club in Kilchoan

8.3 Amazon Project; FO will be away for 3 Sundays (Jan 17th,24th, 31st) and cover is arranged. All permissions are in place.

8.4 Existing graveyard; there has been a query about responsibility for the maintenance of Parliamentary Church graveyards. It may necessitate a transfer of the land title to HC.

8.5 Dates for Shielbridge Hall need to be booked (FO and EG)

8.6 Local Church Review; Acharacle and Ardnamurchan are due for LCR in 2016.

8.7 Information about conferences which may be of interest are on the church notice board.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on February 12th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - Sept 11th

1

At Acharacle, and within the manse, on Friday, the eleventh of September 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 26.6.15

2.1The Minutes of 26.6.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2F.O has completed the safeguarding requirements and documentation is in place.

2.3Harvest service has been moved to 11.00 am on September 20th.

3.Finance

3.1 Summary of finances attached to these minutes.

3.2 There are no more gift aid envelopes – the use of ordinary envelopes to be discussed with DO.

3.3 Presbytery dues are to be increased to £399.

3.4 A wreath is to be ordered for Remembrance Day.

4. Property

4.1 Manse:

4.1.1. The chimney has been swept

4.1.2 Exterior of kitchen and study door need to be painted

4.1.3 The outside light needs to be replaced. CM to attend.

4.1.4 A 2nd shed is to be purchased as a log store – agreed

4.2 Glebe: No change. Price for sale has not been agreed and no permission has been granted for the work to take place. EG to write to 121 that correct procedures have not been followed and there might be a case for considering increasing the area which is leased over which permission to work could be granted while the sale price is being decided.

4.3 Chalet: Damp patch has been resolved.

4.4 Church:

4.4.1 No quote from Angus McInnes for internal doors as yet.

4.4.2 GCF reviewed the cracks in the passage wall and wanted a structural report. Most likely due to disruption when drains were renewed. CARTA’s report to form basis of contract of work.(see notes from June 19th)

4.4.3 Fan: needs the filter replaced from time to time and Roddy Black (RB) to be asked to check it. Sovereign Concure 2020.

4.4.4. Advised using Sovereign Fungicheck paint on patch above entrance door.

4.4.5 Damp on external wall; ask RB to alter lead covering the top of the coping stones so it channels water out.

4.4.6 EG to get information about cost of running the heat exchanger system at St Mun’s

4.4.7 Windows: No contact from Bryden’s.

5. Worship

5.1 Children’s Communion; KS agreed with the children receiving bread and water.

5.2 Summer Preachers at Kilchoan; over the summer FO has not taken a service in Kilchoan for 10 weeks which is unsatisfactory. To be resolved next year.

5.3 Messy Church; 28th September when the Moderator and Mrs Morrison will read the story and stay for tea.

5.4 Remembrance; EG to check rota for flowers.

5.5 Christmas: Christmas Eve service at 7pm

Short Service Christmas Day

Time to Remember in Acharacle date tba

Peninsula carol Service Dec 13th

Glenborrodale date tba

5.6 Kirk Session to continue every 2 months.

6. Dates

Sept 24 – 28th Visit of the Moderator of the General Assembly; letter to go to members and adherents to inviting them to Messy Church to meet the Moderator.

Sept 28th Visit to Acharacle school, Kilchoan church and Messy Church

8. AOB

8.1 Extra safeguarding training is needed for those who trained before 2011.

8.2 Advent teas at Kilchoan.

8.3 Data Protection letter to go out to members and anyone else we have on file.

8.4 Zambian visitors coming to Lochaber from 10 – 16th November, an opportunity for hospitality to be explored.

8.5 The Lund family are visiting in February.

8.6. Dr Buchanan is going to Uganda in February. FO to see if we can help with supplies.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on November 13th at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - June 26th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the twenty-sixth day of June 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg. The date had been changed from July 10th due to other commitments of members of the KS.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2In attendance; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 8.5.15

2.1The Minutes of 8.5.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2Safeguarding: Rev F.O has completed the necessary paperwork.

2.3Token of appreciation to be given to Malcolm Poole

2.4Worship training has commenced in preparation for a service on July 12th.

2.5Box for food bank is proving useful and food is being delivered to Fort William. Thanks were given for the donations.

2.6Pentecost invitation service – feedback was that people were glad to be remembered and be invited to the service.

3.Finance

3.1 Summary of finances attached to these minutes.

3.2 Easyfundraising has raised a further £31.15 to be split between the churches.

3.3 Wedding fees from weddings not in the church will be split between the churches from this date.

4. Property

4.1 CARTA visit; June 19th 2 members of CARTA visited the church. i) They agreed that the internal doors could be changed.KG to get quotes.

ii) They suggested that holes should be drilled in the windows to allow ventilation. Brydon’s have agreed to come and look at the windows with a view to entering into an agreement to maintain them on an annual basis.

iii) CARTA made recommendations about the extension at the rear of the church (full report attached to these minutes)

4.2 GCF have been contacted to look at the rear extension and to be asked about switching roof fan off when they attend.

4.3 Roddy Black still to look at the church roof and gable end where there is a damp patch.

4.4 Sweeping manse chimneys still to be done.

4.5 Damp patch in chalet to be investigated.

4.6 Thanks given to David and Ken for painting the chalet.

4.7 Glebe; this has still not been purchased and the offer made by HC had been ‘wide of the mark’. Concern was expressed about the work which was being undertaken on the glebe preparing for the graveyard when it had not been purchased and no consent had been given for the work. 121 dealing with this.

5. Worship

5.1 Harvest service to be on September 20th at 2 pm in Shielbridge Hall.

5.2 Children’s communion was discussed – all agreed that it should continue as at present with bread and grapes being taken by the children if they wish to join in.

5.3 The Liturgical Year was discussed – EG to get bookmarks of different liturgical colours.

5.4 A series of teaching services will take place over the summer answering questions raised by members.

5.5 Messy Church has finished for the summer – Story teller is going well.

5.6 The Prayer tree has been a success in the church and it is to be tried at the lunches.

5.7 The possibility of putting on a course such as Christianity explored in conjunction with the Free Church at Kilchoan is being explored.

6. Dates

June 28th Peninsula Picnic at Kingairloch

July 24th Kilchoan Show with church stall

Aug 2nd Sanna praise 2pm

Aug 8th Sunart Show with church table

Aug 11th Refreshments in Shielbridge Hall for Art show.

Aug 15th BBQ at Wood School

Aug 18th Wedding near Camas Inas on Aug 18thAbigail Finnegan and Brian Hall from Cumbria.

July – end August teas and scones at Kilchoan on Wed afternoon

Sept 20th Harvest in Shielbridge Hall

Sept 24 – 28th Visit of the Moderator of the General Assembly

Sept 28th Visit to Acharacle, Kilchoan and Messy Church

7 Presbytery

Rev Edgar Ogston has been installed as Moderator for Lochaber

8. AOB

8.1 Extra safeguarding training is needed for those who trained before 2011.

8.2 It was proposed that Ailsa and Ruiraidh be more involved – possibly saying a short prayer.

8.3 AAC has reported a crack in the wall of the grave yard and also the Memorial gate.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on Sept 11th at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - Stated Annual Meeting

The minutes of the 2014 SAM were approved at the 2015 meeting and the are below. The minutes of the 2015 meeting will be published after approval in 2016.

At Acharacle, and within the church, the fourteenth of March 9th 2014, which place, date and time the Stated Annual Meeting was convened and constituted with prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber, Ken and Ella Gill (elders).

1.2Members of the congregation;

1.3Apologies from Grizel Galloway

  1. Minutes of 14.4.13

  1. Matters arising

The minutes of April 14th 2013 were accepted as a true record. Agreed

£6,850 had been paid to restore the bell and it still was not satisfactory. The bell ringing group to meet Ulrich Hoevelman

  1. Accounts

The accounts and budget were tabled. More had been gained through gift aid as there had been a generous donation in 2013. Lunches and coffee morning realised approximately £1,000. Tea towels raised £960 and the gala lunch in August £900

  1. Treasurer

After many years as treasurer, Mrs Sheila Paterson stepped down. Sheila was thanked for all her years of service and was presented with a token of the congregation’s gratitude.

Mr David Ogg has been appointed by the Kirk Session as treasurer.

An agreement outlining the treasurer and Kirk Session protocol was presented.

  1. Session report

6.2 Summary of meetings

Church Services

Attendance

Communion

Elders

Meetings

Fund raising

Bible Group

Plans for 2014/15

Constitution

Facebook and website

6.1 Congregational statistics:

The roll number at the end of 2013 was 40

There had been 1 wedding and 4 funerals and 0 baptisms but service of thanksgiving for 3 children

6.2 Summary of Kirk Session meetings

The congregation is reminded that these are open meetings and a copy of minutes is made available after the meeting for those who would like them. Presbytery reports are also available after meetings in the form of the Presbytery Précis and full minutes can be seen on the Presbytery website.

6.2.1 Church services take place weekly alternating between 11.00 am and 2.00 pm with Kilchoan. We are grateful for the assistance of Chris for his dedication to our music ministry and to John Dove, Alan Macpherson and Mike Whitton for playing occasionally at services.

Attendance at the services has varied throughout the year and although this can be disappointing would seem to be a reflection of a national trend.

6.2.2 Less formal communion has taken place throughout the year on a monthly basis in addition to the more formal service

6.2.3 Messy Church continues on a monthly basis in Shielbridge Hall during term time and attendance is encouraging.

6.2.4 Elders; There has been some Elder training this year and the Elders are becoming more involved in worship leading. The Kirk Session has proposed that rather than Elder led services from time to time, this should be widened to call the group a worship group so that others can become involved.

6.2.5. The Kirk Session met 6 times throughout the year from January to December 2013.

The main agenda items have been fundraising, continuing restoration and maintenance and youth work, all of which will be raised in other reports:

6.2.6. Fund raising and Bazaar: there has been a regular approach to fundraising with lunches taking place monthly and a tea/coffee morning twice each month. In 2013 it was decided that there should be an ‘enhanced’ lunch rather than the bazaar which used to be held. It was felt that the old style bazaar was not appropriate now and there were not enough people to help with that sort of event. The Gala Lunch in August included raffles and stalls and proved successful and raised £1000.

Donations of bacon, rolls and baking continue to be gratefully received and contribute towards the finances raised.

6.2.7 Bible Group; the group continues to meet weekly on Mondays with occasional breaks during the holiday periods. Attendance at this is averaging at 7.

6.2.8. Plans for 2014: It is hoped to hold a celebratory service later in 2014 to mark the restoration of the church.

6.2.9. Constitution: The Unitary constitution has now been adopted.

6.2.10 Communication: the website and Facebook page are proving popular.

  1. Property

Ken Gill reported on the work which had taken place in the last 12 months;

The only major issues regarding the restoration are the bell and the remaining windows. Both are weather dependant and it is hoped they will be completed in the spring. The window in the back passage is to be replaced. There are some cracks in the small window panes – these are being monitored.

The main doors have been painted/treated and the front and rear

steps have been improved with new concrete. Thank you Ella for the doors and Donnie and Alastair for the steps. A handrail has been ordered and should soon be in place. Minor repairs to the church and manse roof have been done and we are monitoring what appears to be a damp area above the entrance of the church.

Following a report of woodworm in the Communion table and chair David Webber treated the affected areas and we would appreciate reports of any other signs of worm activity.

Currently we are looking at: ventilating the manse roof and insulating its loft, the drainage between the manse and glebe and resurfacing the drive and repairing the drain cover.

The wooden bench with the carved inscription was considered dangerous and has been removed. This is to be replaced with a new granite chair donated by the same family.

  1. Youth work and outreach

8.1 Rev Fiona Ogg reported that Messy Church is now held on the last Monday afternoon of every month. Attendance varies from 0 to 40.

8.2 Fiona continues to go into the primary school. The Pasada proved very popular. A lunch time group at the school is being explored.

8.3 Pastoral visiting is continuing and Fiona asked to be told of anyone who was in need of a visit.

8.4 The monthly lunches held in Shielbridge Hall and fortnightly coffee mornings held in the chalet provide time for fellowship and outreach.

8.5 The annual picnic and carol service in conjunction with the other parishes on the peninsula facilitates engagement with the wider church.

  1. Bible Group

This continues to meet on Mondays in the chalet during term time.

  1. Safeguarding

Donna McIver stepped down as coordinator in November and Ken Gill has been appointed as Safeguarding coordinator for Acharacle and Ardnamurchan. He reported that this year we have striven to meet our safeguarding requirements. Fiona, David, Maureen and Ken have been disclosed and have the necessary PVG certificates.

There is a safeguarding policy document on the notice board at the entrance of the church. Any safeguarding issues should be reported to Ken.

  1. Adjournment

There being no further business the SAM was closed with saying The Grace

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - May 8th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the eighth day of May 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2In attendance; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 13.3.15

2.1The Minutes of 13.3.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2Rev F.O to complete PVG submission

2.3Token of appreciation to be given to Malcolm Poole

2.4Worship training to recommence in June in preparation for a service on July 12th.

2.5Box for food bank is proving useful and food is being delivered to Fort William.

3.Finance

3.1 Summary of finances attached to these minutes.

3.2 Gift Aid claim for this year to be made in January 2016.

3.3 Bill has been received from Roddy Black for work on the manse roof. Cost to be met by Acharacle congregation and the bill has been paid.

3.4 Insurance on church buildings has been paid

3.5 Communion Silver realised £180.48 and has been paid into bank

3.6 WDP 20 there and £91.35 The cost of Community Centre hire paid by Acharacle Church.

3.7 HIV Aids – Souper Sunday raised £51

4. Property

4.1 Maintenance rota of church windows was discussed. KG to contact Bryson’s about the rust showing through on the front windows. Bach windows show moult between the window and the secondary glazing – to be monitored with a view to periodic cleaning.

4.2 Scotland’s Churches Trust has donated money and our church features on their website. http://www.scotlandschurchestrust.org.uk/church/ac...

4.3 Dehumidifier was discussed but it was felt it was not necessary at present.

4.4 General summer maintenance to be carried out; benches to be checked for safety and repair, front doors to be varnished, vestry and chalet gable wall paint to be refreshed. Inside the window recesses to be painted.

4.5 Roddy Black still needs to look at the gable end of the church where it is stained.

4.6 CARTA have been contacted about the inside heavy doors – no response – EG to follow up.

5. Lunches

5.1 Lunches going well. Rota was discussed but not felt necessary to alter current practice.

5.2 A prayer tree will be placed on a table during the lunches.

6. Dates

6.1 Wedding near Camas Inas on Aug 18thAbigail Finnegan and Brian Hall from Cumbria.

6.2 Heart and Soul local event at Ardgour on May 17th

6.3 June 28th Peninsula Picnic at Kingairloch

6.4 Aug 8th Sunart Show with church table

6.5 Aug 15th BBQ at Wood School Salen

7 Presbytery Elder

David Webber agreed to serve another term as Presbytery Elder

8. Worship

8.1 Jean Whitton is a congregational worship leader and FO will be present in one of her services to fulfil Presbytery requirement.

8.2 EG was nominated as CWL in training

8.3 Pentecost: to be an invitation service

8.4 Messy church went well.

9. AOB

9.1 The purchase of Traidcraft biscuits was suggested for after the services

9.2 It was suggested that there could be some of the children’s artwork up in the church.

9.3 No further news about the graveyard of the glebe

9.4 Data protection – to be considered by Presbytery

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on July 10th at 10.00 am in the chalet.

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - March 13th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the thirteenth day of March 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2In attendance; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 20.1.15

2.1The Minutes of 20.1.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2KG to remind Roddy Black about work necessary in manse roof.

2.3HIS can order a dehumidifier if we decide we need one.

3Attestation of Records

3.1.Safeguarding; Claudia Nicholson has agreed to be the coordinator for Kilchoan and Acharacle. All disclosures are up to date and the records were attested on 10.3.15.

3.2Property; the Property file was attested.

3.3Communion Roll; 2 members have sadly died in 2014 and so the roll is 38. The Roll was attested.

3.4Baptismal Roll; There have been 2 baptisms in 2014. The Roll was attested.

3.5Data compliance; in view of new regulations this will be considered once Presbytery has issued guidelines.

4Finance

4.1 David Ogg presented the accounts which had been examined by Malcolm Poole. (App 1)

4.2 The church is financially viable with a surplus of income over expenditure of £1850 at the year end.

4.3 A token of appreciation to be given to Malcolm Poole (£50)

4.4 The contribution towards the Moderators visit is £54.60p.

4.5 David was thanked for his work.

5. Worship

5.1 Holy week; there will be a service in Acharacle on Good Friday.

5.2 Training for worship leading has begun and will continue for 4 weeks in total.

5.3 A joint service and Joint Kirk Session with Kilchoan is to be considered.

5.4 Harvest will be September 20th at 2 pm in Acharacle and September 13th in Kilchoan.

6. Miscellaneous

6.1 Communion Silver; the Communion set has been sold for £240 by auction.

6.2 Lochaber Transport Advice and Booking Service leaflet was tabled.

6.3 Foodbank; there is a box in the church for contributions.

6.4 Dates of Kirk Sessions; May 8th; July 10th; Sept 11th; Nov 13th

6.5 Holiday; F. O will be on holiday from June 29th – July 6th

Oct 12th – 28th. Service cover to be considered

6.6 An application to join the Communion Roll had been received from Alan Bisset who attends when he stays in the area. It was agreed that his name should be added to the roll.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the Grace to meet again in the chalet on Friday May 8th 2015 at 10.30 am.

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk