2016 Annual Accounts

Click here to view the accounts

2016 - Nov 25th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday 25th of November 2016 at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 16.9.16 were agreed as a true record.

  1. Matters Arising

3.1 Graveyard wall

3.2 Manse C.H

3.3 Stewardship and Finance

3.4 Harvest in the hall

3.5 Hymn books

3.1 EG was assured that the wall in the graveyard will be assessed and necessary work done by the council. Ownership of the land with the dead trees to be identified agreed at site meeting on 25.11.16 and EG informed.

.

3.2 Central heating now working well.

3.3. The Newsletter contained a Stewardship and Finance section but it was not a specific letter. Weekly giving envelopes to be more available and more information given at monthly lunches beginning in February.

3.4 Harvest worship was generally well received

3.5 New hymn books have arrived.

  1. Finance

4.1 Heating of church

A summary of finances was submitted (app 1)

4.1 Using the chalet had been thought to decrease the heating costs but the evidence was not conclusive. The temperature at the communion table has been 10 degrees over the last few Sundays during services. It is possible that the consideration should be the acceptability of the ‘working’ environment rather than cost.

  1. Worship

5.1 Jan 15th; Harry Jeffrey will be asked to conduct service.

5.2 Worship in the chalet over the winter; dates confirmed as Jan 8th until March 26th inclusive. For annual review by the Kirk Session.

5.3 A Christmas card with service times to be sent to all members and regular attenders.

  1. Property

6.1 GCF

6.2 Manse

6.3 Chalet

6.4 Health and Safety

.6.1 GCF – work still underway. Cupboards to be re attached when the work is finished.

6.2 Manse; work identified;

Cleaning algae

Painting exterior walls

Check integrity of the roughcast at the front of the house

EG to liaise with DW and contact Riverside Builders for quote. Ardnamurchan to be kept informed.

6.3.1Chalet gutters to be cleaned. New lights are a great improvement

6.3.2 Consideration to be given to hiring out the chalet for small groups.

6.4.1; Under pew heaters. It was decided that the heaters would remain in place at present and costing of covers should be ascertained.

In the meantime, hazard notices are to be put on pews.

6.4. 2 Christmas Trees – care should be taken while tackling decoration.

6.4. 3 Ice; Salt to be available beside the ramp

6.4. 4 Leaves – to be cleared from access paths

  1. Ecumenical

Evenings with the members of the Episcopal Church are underway.

Jan 23rd;

Week of Christian Unity organised this year by Jean Whitton

  1. Forthcoming events

8.1 Nov 28th Messy Church

8.2 Free Church are to hold Christmas Unwrapped in the Primary School on Monday 18th – Rev Fiona will be involved as part of team

8.3 Dec 8th Time to remember at Ardnamurchan PC at 11.00am

8.4 Tree decorating on 11th leaving some for the children to do on 12th. MM to organise getting the tree.

8.5 Dec 11th Peninsula Carols 7pm at Strontian

8.6 Dec 12th Little Christmas – nursery visiting Acharacle Church

8.7 Dec 14th Carols at Ardnamurchan

8.8 Dec 18th Breakfast at the manse

8.9 Dec 19th Messy Church Party

8.10 Loch Shiel Spring Festival have requested use of Church building on 21st April at noon for concert – agreed – John Dove is liaison

8.11 Vocations conference Feb 25th 2017

9 Presbytery

The Local Church Review is underway.

  1. Correspondence

9.1 SCT; EG to follow up offer of publicity for the Church through SCT

9.2 EG to follow up the possibility of joining VAL(Voluntary Action Lochaber)

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on Friday January 20th 2017 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Future dates: March 17th ;May 18th

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2016 Sept 16th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Monday the sixteenth of September 2016 at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary). David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 10.6.16 were agreed as a true record with the inclusion of the following decision;

Election of David Webber as Presbytery Elder for 2016/17

This was homologated.

  1. Matters Arising

3.1 Thanks were given by EG for the arrangements for the installation of the Moderator in June.

3.2 Glebe sale; this is tied in with purchase of land in Alness. Still awaiting completion.

3.3 Joint Kirk Session (KS); Both Sessions will meet at the Local Church Review meeting on 21.9.16. A review of the current level of contribution to Ministries costs to be undertaken by the treasurers of both Sessions and reported to KS.

3.4 Highland Council (HC) have not progressed the repairs to the wall and memorial Gate, or removed the dead trees EG to contact HC indicating Health and Safety concerns.

3.5 Harvest service date has been changed to 18.9.16 due to availability of the hall.

3.6 Thanks were given for the Garden Open Day which raised almost £300 in donations.

3.7 The mesh replacement on the veranda of the chalet is underway. Thanks to Alastair.

3.8 All summer events went well.

3.9 Bible Group has recommenced.

3.10 Literature about the church times had not been distributed to the hotels as it was felt that there was enough information available.

  1. Finance

4.1 DO reported. Financial review (app1)

4.2 Awaiting the invoice for the work on the manse heating – due to be approximately £700. This will be a joint expense with Kilchoan.

4.3 It was agreed that there should be an annual Stewardship and Finance letter sent to members which would also include any other relevant administrative information.DO, FO and EG.to formulate a letter for the Session to approve before sending out.

  1. Worship

5.1 Harvest

5.2 Baptism

5.3 Hymn books

5.4 Holiday cover

5.5 Chalet

5.1 Harvest arrangements were discussed. There will be a café style service on September 25th in the hall with a retiring collection/donation for UNICEF.This will be intimated on 18.9.16 and a flyer sent into the school. Donations for the Foodbank will be requested.

Soup and a bring and share lunch will follow.

5.2 Innes Buchanan is to be baptised on 18.9.16. KS approved.

Baptism service was discussed.

5.3 A cheaper version of CH4 is available. 10 to be ordered.FO

5.4 Holidays; FO has arranged cover for;

Oct 2nd John McPake 2pm

Oct 9th John McPake 11.00 am

Oct 16th Keith Mack 2pm

Nov 20th Elder led service

Rev McCorkindale is also away during some of this time and so Rev Cushman will be available for pastoral issues.

5.5 Use of the Chalet during the winter; Taking into account opinions raised last year it was decided to use the chalet from Jan 8th rather than Dec 1st until Easter.

  1. Property

6.1 GCF are due to start work on Oct 3rd.

6.2 KG outlined general Health and Safety issues and their implication. DW and KG will attend the H & S meeting in Fort William on October 6th

6.3 KG and DW will source and cost covers for under pew heaters.

6.4 There is no new evidence of woodworm activity in chair behind the Communion Table.

6.5 Lighting needs to be improved in the chalet in view of increased use during evenings. EG to contact Charlie.

  1. Ecumenical

7.1 Free Church are starting a Sunday School on a monthly basis. FO is liaising with the leader to continue the themes in the intervening weeks.

7.2 Episcopal Church, Kinlochmoidart; There will be a joint study course using Nooma Dvds from 27th Oct for 6 weeks in the chalet at 7pm.

  1. Forthcoming events

Messy Church: Oct 24th, Nov 28th and Christmas Party Dec 19th.

Nov 13th Remembrance at 2pm. A wreath to be bought.

Dec 8th Time to Remember at Ardnamurchan 11.00 am

Dec 11th Peninsula Carols in Stontian at 7 pm

Dec 12th Visit to the church by Nursery children and parents.

Glenborrodale and the Nadurra is not available for carol service.

9 AOB

9.1 A visiting card was approved for distribution to bereaved families.

9.2 It was decided that the KS precis should form part of newsletter and be distributed with any other relevant information 4 times a year.

9.3 It was decided we did not need a Messy Church banner.

9.4 It was decided that occasional discussion groups would take place after the afternoon service. EG to gather ideas for a programme.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on Friday November 25th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2016 June 10th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Monday the tenth of June 2016 at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held on 11.4.16 were agreed as a true record

  1. Matters Arising

3.1 The visiting card and discussion of pastoral visiting were deferred to the next meeting.

3.2 Glebe Sale; KG to enquire about progress

3.3. Kinlochmoidart Episcopal service; details available shortly.

3.4 Chalet; wider review of the use of the chalet in September

3.5 Joint Kirk Session or service to be scheduled.

3.6 Heart and Soul review – mainly positive feedback but was too long and siting of activities was not as successful as it could have been.

3.7 Strontian Show; Aug 13th – helpers needed. MW and DW may be able to help.

3.8 GCF; quote still not received. It is promised for Friday 17th.

3.9 Highland Council; no work has taken place on wall in graveyard.

3.10 Sustainability of church and buildings in readiness for 5 year plan; meeting devoted to this to take place in September. This will include issues connected with kitchen/toilet legislation.

3.11 Manse Central Heating; to get quotes.

3.12 Loch Shiel festival concert worked well in church.

  1. Finance

DO was unable to attend. Financial review (app1)

  1. Worship

Messy Church to be held June 27th. MW and DW unable to be there.

  1. Baptisms

2 baptisms planned: July 24th and Aug 14th

  1. Harvest

This will take place on Sunday September 4th in Shielbridge Hall at 2pm. Hall to be booked.

  1. Forthcoming events

8.1 Arrangements for the service and installation of the Moderator were confirmed

8.2 Sat. July 2nd: Prayer Breakfast in Kilmallie Free Church

8.3 Sat July 16th: Garden Open Day at 5 Camas Inas

8.4 Wed July 20th concert in the church.

8.5 Sat Sept 17th Retreat Saturday in DMac. Listening to God

8.6 Sat Aug 13th.Strontian show; Thanks given for the offers of help from D & M Webber, MM and E & K Gill.

16.09.16

25.11.16 (change of date)

All at 10.00 am for coffee to convene at 10.30 for business

10Property

11. Bible Group

Mesh on veranda of chalet needs to be replaced. Alastair McGillivray to be asked to do this.

To recommence on September 5th. EG to contact Jean.

12. Tourist Leaflet

Rather than an area wide leaflet it was felt that the services listed in De tha Dol should be issued to each hotel. This would then include all denominations.

13. AOB

EG attended the presentation by World Mission Council. The ways in which we support WM projects was highlighted; Stamps raised £4,000, Nepal appeal £152,000 and is continuing plus special days and appeals e.g. Souper Sunday, Blythswood shoe box appeal. Acharacle has participated in all of these.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on Friday September 16th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

Various items were missed in the Kirk Session and will be discussed and homologated at next Kirk Session

  1. Election of David Webber as Presbytery Elder
  2. Various plumbing items in the manse
  3. Thanks to Ken for strimming the drive
  4. Letter of thanks from Loch Shiel committee

2016 - April 11th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Monday the eleventh of April at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by Rev Fiona Ogg. The KS had been rescheduled from 8.4.16 to 11.4.16.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary). Apologies; Marjory MacGillivray

1.2In attendance for financial report; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Pastoral visiting

There was a discussion about pastoral visiting for all members of the community after bereavement.

It was decided that FO,DO and EG would meet to produce a visiting card with contact details for the church which could be left at such a visit to be presented at the next Kirk Session for final agreement.

  1. Finance

The financial report was presented by David Ogg (app 1). David was thanked for his work as treasurer and asked to thank Jon Haylot for his help in inspecting the accounts, a token of gratitude to be given to Jon.

The accounts have been attested by Presbytery and have been sent to 121 as required. They will be submitted to OSCR in due course.

They will be uploaded to the church’s website.

A budget for mission was agreed. DO advised that finances are robust enough to support the work of the church as well as maintaining a cushion of £20,000.

DO left the meeting after this item.

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 12.2.16 and 20.3.16

3.1The Minutes of 12.2.16 and 20.3.16 were accepted as a true record with some clarification of 3.7 pg 113.

Windows; Secondary glazing has been removed from affected windows and painted areas treated with anti fungal spray on affected windows.

3.2Glebe; the sale is hopefully progressing.

3.3Weekly gift aid envelopes to be ordered.

3.4It was agreed that the Presbytery Elder could claim travel expenses for the Presbytery meetings.

  1. Mission

Exploring the God Question will commence as a joint enterprise with the Free Church on Thursday 14th April in the Community Centre.

  1. Worship

6.1 Kinlochmoidart

6.2 Review of chalet

6.3 Children

6.4 Joint service

6.1 FO proposed holding a series of short mid week services for 6 weeks at Kinlochmoidart with the Episcopal Church. KS agreed.

6.2 It was not yet possible to review the cost of holding services in the chalet over the winter as no bills had been received.

6.3 It was decided to make space available at the front of the church beside the front pew for any children attending.

6.4 A joint service with Kilchoan to be scheduled.

  1. Dates

7.1 Heart and Soul

7.2 Strontian Show

7.3 Installation of Moderator

7.1 May 22nd Heart and Soul local will be held in Fort William at the same time as the Edinburgh service. KS agreed that the service in Acharacle should be cancelled to allow attendance. Numbers who wish to attend to be ascertained and transport considered.

7.2 Aug 13th Strontian Show; Volunteers sought to help with manning the church stand.

7.3 June 14th; EG to be installed as Moderator. Service at 4pm in Acharacle, tea in the Community Centre with the Presbytery meeting also in the centre. Jessie has been asked to do flowers for the church.

  1. Property

8.1 Manse fencing and lock

8.2 GCF quote

8.3 Highland Council

8.4 Sustainability of church buildings

8.5 Weeds at manse

8.6 Central heating in manse

8.1 Manse fencing is in place.

Toilet door lock has been fixed – thanks to Hugh.

8.2 GCF have been asked to quote for;

Church; Replace inner doors

Check and clear rainwater goods on church

Inspect and repair leak in roof

Inspect and repair leak at gable end – probably in lead flashing

Replace filter in fan

Back corridor; repair cracks and replaster

Replace window

Replace lintel above door between corridor and church

Manse; Treat outside walls with fungicidal paint

Renew outside paintwork

No quote received to date – DW to contact GCF

8.3 Highland Council had responded to the letter with a visit;

They are very short of funds but will undertake to;

Repair the crack in the wall in the graveyard and Memorial gate as well as take down the trees at risk in the area beside the footpath.

They have removed the uprights to the gate to make access easier.

Gravestones are the family’s responsibility and they have no money to re-establish the pathways in the old graveyard.

Chalet veranda has been cleaned – thanks

Sustainability of church buildings; there was a discussion about the use and sustainability of the church building. More discussion necessary as the KS considers a 5 year plan.

Weeds at the manse to be treated with Round up between 4/7/16 and 11/7/16.

8.6 The central heating in the manse is 15 years old and was causing problems last winter. Andy Tilling is aware of the problem. At present it is working and being monitored.

9. Kirk Session dates

10.6.17

18.11.16

All at 10.00 am for coffee to convene at 10.30 for business

10.AOCB

10.1 Spring Festival

10.2 Support groups

10.3 International evening

10.4 Stepcount challenge

10.5 Holiday

10.1 Loch Shiel Spring Festival; The church will be a venue for a concert on Saturday. Arrangements for this were made.

10.2 FO had had discussions with the GP surgery to explore the possibility of support groups for elderly who were becoming dependant as well as carers of family members with dementia. It had also been noted that there were not as many groups for men in the community as there are for women and the church might also be able to respond to this need.

10.3 There is to be an International Evening in the School.

10.4 Stepcount challenge; a team from the church was suggested but there were no takers!

10.5 Holiday; FO will be away 2nd, 9th, and 16th October as well as Nov 20th.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on June 10th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2016 - Feb 12th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the twelfth of February at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).Marjory MacGillivray, David Ogg (treasurer)

1.2In attendance Jean Whitton

  1. Finance

The accounts were presented by David Ogg and Kirk Session approved them. David was thanked for his work as treasurer. DO left the meeting after this item.

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 27.11.15

3.1The Minutes of 27.11.15 were accepted as a true record.

3.2Glebe; no change in the status but the graveyard is complete and trees are being planted.

3.3Data protection letters have been sent and only an amendment to one address received in reply.

3.4Drainage at manse; there is still water standing in spite of some remedial work by HC. Eenie to dig further drainage channels and to liaise with Alastair Cameron to ascertain where the drainage system is located.

3.5There is a stick marking the tap which controls the water supply near the entrance of the graveyard – this to be replaced by a more robust marker.

3.6GCF still to come and assess the passage. Fungal paint purchased for the area above the entrance.

3.7Windows; Secondary glazing has been removed and painted areas treated with anti fungal spray.

3.8Worship; Advent calendars were distributed and the remainder were sent to Cumbria as part of the relief effort after the flooding.

3.9Messy Church Christmas Party went well – thanks to all who helped.

3.10Breakfast before the service on Dec 20th was well attended.

3.11All the services for pre Christmas took place.

3.12There was a representative attendance at the service for Christian Unity.

3.13God Question; this was planned for Lent but the Free Church are unable to participate and so this will be deferred. This will take place in the Community Centre and will be ecumenical.

3.14Use of the chalet: It had been decided to use the chalet during the months of December, January and February as these are usually the coldest months. Comments had been submitted by Mike and Jean Whitton.

It was proposed that in future services remain in the church during December and that a strategic plan be put in place to ensure safety. Jean Whitton left the meeting after this item.

  1. Mission

The God Question will be an ecumenical programme.

  1. Worship

5.1 Messy Church in January was postponed due to lack of people to run it.

5.2 March Messy Church date would fall during the school holidays and so will not be held.

5.3 Easter Service on Thursday/Friday to be arranged

5.4 SAM to be held after the 2pm service on March 6th when records will be attested. Reports to be collated and forwarded to members prior to the meeting.

5. Property

5.1 The quote for the inner doors is still outstanding.

5.2 KG to contact GCF re back corridor. The 2 angle irons have been removed

5.3 The back wall is to be painted with anti fungal paint.

5.4 Gutters need to be cleared.

5.5 There is a leak at the back of the church on the left side – Roddy Black to be asked to check this when he examines the gable end.

5.6 There are a number of issues which HC should address; the Memorial gate and the cracked wall as well as the gate posts at the exit of the church near the graveyard. A letter to be sent.

7. Presbytery

EG is to be installed as Moderator for Lochaber Presbytery. This will involve a service in Acharacle Church on June 14th. The hall or the centre to be booked for tea and the Presbytery meeting.

8.. Kirk Session dates

8.4.16

17.6.16

16.9.16

18.11.16 all at 10.00 am for coffee to convene at 10.30 for business

9.. AOB

Enveloped for gift aided offering should be purchased.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on April 4th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2016 - Stated Annual Meeting

The Annual Accounts are here

2016 - Stated Annual Meeting

At Acharacle, and within the church, the twentysecond of March 2015, which place, date and time the Stated Annual Meeting was convened and constituted with prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Marjory MacGillivray, David Webber, Ken and Ella Gill (elders).

1.2Members of the congregation; Chris Millar Craig, Sheila Paterson, Margaret and Andrew Green, Cath Murray, Grizel Galloway,

1.3Apologies from Jean Whitton and Maureen Webber

1.4In attendance Mr David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes of 9.3.14

  1. Reports and Accounts

The minutes of March 9th 2014 were accepted as a true record. Agreed

Reports of the activities of the church had been emailed to members and were also tabled and are incorporated into these minutes.

The accounts were tabled

  1. Worship and outreach

Report from

Rev Fiona Ogg

Within the Church building, services of worship are held every Sunday with extra services at Easter and Christmas.

Within the local community, family services, eg Harvest Thanksgiving, and Messy Church have been held in the village hall.

During holiday periods the congregation expands to include those who have holiday homes and those who are visiting the area.

A Bible Study Group meets on Monday evenings in the Chalet next to the Church.

The profile of the faith community has been raised by fund rising events that build links between the congregation and local community. Within the wider community there is involvement in local schools and by participation of individual church members with many local organisations.

There was an information stall at various local events and the church was represented at the General Assembly’s Heart and Soul event.

Social events are arranged throughout the year for fellowship as well as ministry.

Over the year there have been a number of new initiatives piloted.

There have been breakfasts before some services; this follows on the success of those services where fellowship continues over lunch. Songs of Praise services have taken place twice over the year.

Over 70 people were at the Celebration service that marked the completion of the major restoration work.

  1. Finances

The accounts were presented in a simplified form as well as the OSCR format.(app1) The simplified format was much appreciated.

It was proposed that one of the monthly lunches donations should be given to an outside charity. Agreed. Thanks were given to David for taking on the role as treasurer and to Sheila Paterson for her previous work as treasurer. Andrew Green was thanked for his assistance as well as Malcolm Poole, the independent examiner.

  1. Session report

Elders

Children and families

Linked Parishes

Ecumenical engagement

Kirk Session meetings

Schools

Social activities and fund raising

6.1 During the year there was one Baptism, four weddings (two of which were out in the local area) and four funerals.

Sunday services continue alternating times with Ardnamurchan Church and included a joint service. Membership of the church is now 38 as 2 of our members sadly died during 2014.

Attendance at the services has varied throughout the year and although this can be disappointing would seem to be a reflection of a national trend.

Elders. Elders have fulfilled their duties with joy and enthusiasm. They have participated in national conferences which has enabled the views and experiences of those in rural and remote ministry to be heard by others.

They participate regularly in worship and are developing a Worship Group.

Housebound and ill members of the congregation and other parishioners are visited by the elders.

There was an Elder’s Training Event and a mini series of four more is underway.

Messy Church changed to being held monthly on a Monday after school and continues to attract a wide range of age groups. Grandparents come along with grandchildren and mix with other family groups; there have been people without children, which is an encouraging development. This craft based activity continues to be popular. At Easter and Christmas children left with Easter eggs / Advent calendars that contained the story of the special time.

Linked Parishes. A joint service with Ardnamurchan, normally held at Christmas at Glenborrodale Castle, had to be cancelled due to inclement weather.

Ecumenical Engagement. The annual Carol Service was held in Strontian involving the congregations of Ardnamurchan, Acharacle, Strontian, Morvern and Ardgour, representatives from the Free Church, Roman Catholic Church, Episcopal Church and the Orthodox Catholic church.

The World Day of Prayer was a joint service with the local Roman Catholic Church. Two ecumenical services were held, one prior to the Referendum and the other after the vote.

Peninsula-wide Activities. These included the Annual Picnic, a Carol Service and a barbecue.

Pilgrimage Trail. The congregation were pleased to join in a service of worship with an ecumenical group travelling across the peninsula on their way to Iona.

Kirk Session. The Kirk Session met six times during 2014 and complies with administrative legislation of the Church. There was a joint meeting with the Kirk Session with the linked parish of Ardnamurchan.

Schools. Links are being strengthened with the involvement of the minister as, effectively, a classroom assistant. The minister also regularly reads Bible stories to the Nursery School. The minister also participates in Assemblies at the local High School.

Social activities. Monthly lunches continue to be held in Shielbridge Hall and fortnightly coffee mornings at the church.

Fundraising. Continued commitment to this in the form of monthly lunches, fortnightly Coffee Mornings and various other activities have resulted in a necessary and sustained boost to the income.

In Summary. There is much going on and when analysed there are few areas of local life in which a church member or adherent is not involved: it is encouraging to know that those involved simply live out their faith wherever they are and whatever they are involved in. As is usual for a Parish of this size, the percentage of the population that participates in church activities, and the number of local activities in which church members are involved is much higher than the actual figures indicate and this gives a hope that faith continues to matter to the people of the Parish.

  1. Property

Report from Ken Gill

Restoration

Maintenance

Glebe

Miscellaneous items

Manse

The restoration of the church building is complete and a service of dedication and thanksgiving was held in September 2014. CMC commended the work of the team involved in the restoration programme. The church windows were completed and no further major works remain.

The bell bearings have been freed. The bell now rings without sticking.

Maintenance of buildings is regularly scheduled.

The Glebe. Highland Council has been leasing part of the glebe for several years and has approached the Law Department in Edinburgh to purchase the majority of the glebe. This will give both access to a proposed extension to the burial ground and space for a sports field for the community and adjacent school. A small area has been retained to extend the manse garden in line with adjacent properties. The Council have agreed, as a condition of sale, to address the drainage which may reduce the manse garden flooding

The main sign has been re worded.

The faults with the outside speakers has been rectified.

The main doors have been re sealed.

One of the outside benches was unsafe and removed, a granite replacement has been donated.

The manse loft has been insulated .

The manse drive has been resurfaced

An attempt at improving the drainage around the rear of the manse was made but still requires attention

The en suite has been regrouted.

A drip in the loft has been sourced and cured

A small leak in the chalet roof has been sealed.

Air tiles are still to be fitted in the manse roof. The roofer is to be asked to look at the wet area on the bell tower wall

The cracks associated with the kitchen /lavatory extension are being monitored.

Minor issues are addressed when identified e.g. Rainwater blockages , painting etc.

  1. Bible Group

Report from Jean Whitton

The Bible Study Group continues to meet on most Mondays throughout the year. We do not meet on Messy Church days as a number of the group are also involved with this outreach activity. We have some short breaks at holiday times. We meet in The Chalet starting at 7pm and aiming to end around 8.30pm.

Whilst the word ‘study’ appears in the group name, this most certainly does not mean that we are ‘dry academics’!! We aren’t experts and don’t claim have the answers to every question raised.

We have wide ranging discussions with plenty of laughter as well as serious thought. We use a variety of courses to help us explore The Bible, relating it to daily life and so deepening our understanding of our faith – what it means to be a Christian.

We have looked at:

• The composition of The Bible, how it came to be as we have it.

• Individual books e.g. Isaiah

• Characters in The Bible e.g. Mary Magdalene

• Themes e.g. Covenants

Not everyone attends every session, people can come and go as they wish – the courses are designed to be meaningful even if people cannot attend every session.

  1. Safeguarding

Mrs Claudia Nicholson has taken over as safeguarding coordinator for Acharacle and Ardnamurchan. All disclosures have been completed and are in order.

  1. Rotas

Grateful thanks are given to all who help in the running of the church from providing the music, maintaining the building, cleaning, providing flowers, refreshments after the services and reading the lesson. It is disappointing that our group of helpers who participate in this way have become depleted over the last few years but we have a new recruit this year as Ailsa has agreed to go on the rota.

  1. Presbytery report

Mr David Webber has been the Presbytery Elder for Acharacle this year. Other members of the church involved in Presbytery are Rev Fiona Ogg, Mr Ken Gill as property convener and Mrs Ella Gill as Presbytery Clerk.

All members of Presbytery are expected to participate in the work of Presbytery through the working groups. Rev Fiona Ogg is a member of the ministries working group and has been involved in the local church reviews for Glencoe and Duror. Mr David Webber is a member of the Property working group and has been involved in the committee surveys of various church properties during the course of this year. Mr Ken Gill is the convener of this group.

Mrs Ella Gill is Interim Moderator for the vacant charge of Glencoe and Duror.

Presbytery meets 6 times during the year to consider both local matters as well as the remits sent down from the General Assembly.

Part of the remit for this year was the overture sent to Presbyteries to consider the proposals for ministers and deacons in civil partnerships made at the General Assembly of 2014. Lochaber Presbytery voted against the proposal to allow Kirk Sessions to make the decision to depart from the traditional position of the Church in relation to human sexuality 18:6. However, a majority of Presbyteries voted in favour of the proposal and so it will go to the General Assembly this year. 32 Presbyteries voted in favour and 13 against. This equates to 71.1% in favour and 28.9% against. 1391 members of Presbyteries voted in favour and 1153 against. This equates to 54.6% in favour and 45.4% against.

  1. Adjournment

There being no further business the SAM was closed with a blessing.

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - Nov 27th

At Acharacle, and within the chalet, on Friday, the twenty seventh of November 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

The meeting was begun with a discussion about the relative amounts of time dedicated to property and finance compared with worship and mission on the KS agenda. Mission in the context of community life was discussed. It was agreed to begin each KS with a roundup of mission and out reach in which members had been involved since the last KS.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies; Marjory MacGillivray, David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 11.9.15

2.1The Minutes of 11.9.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2The date of this Kirk Session had been moved from November 13th to 27th due to members being unavailable.

2.3Glebe; no change, permission still not granted. HC want to purchase a piece of land in Alness and are proposing to tie in the purchase of Acharacle glebe with this.

2.4Messy Church was very successful – thanks to everyone.

2.5Remembrance; Service on 8th was in the church due to inclement weather and had been satisfactory. Church linked with the community on 11th at the Memorial Gate.

2.6Data protection letters have been sent and only an amendment to one address received in reply.

2.7Dr Buchanan’s visit to Uganda; KS agreed to assist with the cost of excess baggage.

3.Finance

3.1 Summary of finances attached to these minutes.

3.2 It was agreed that an annual letter asking for funds should be sent to members in the spring.

3.3 It was suggested that Nadurra could be used for a joint KS and the fee met from funds.

3.4 A replacement Common Order has been bought.

4. Property

4.1 Manse: pooling of water is getting worse. A ditch to be dug (FO to contact Eenie). HC and FO inspected the drainage on Nov 25th.

4.1.2 Fence still needs to be erected (HC)

4.2 1Glebe; Graveyard complete apart from seeding.

4.2.2 Trees will be planted in the bund in spring.

4.3 General; 2 trees at the front need to be felled as rotten

4.3.2 Water pipe broken by Broadband engineers has been mended but the control tap is above ground and should be re positioned.

4.3.3 Hugh Cameron to be asked to join the property team. (PT)

4.4 Chalet; Problem with the door – (PT)

4.5 Church interior; GCF to be asked to quote for the work on the back wall outlined by CARTA.

4.5.2 Fungi check – anti fungal paint to be applied to the wall above the door.

4.5.3 Windows; lower part of secondary glazing the be removed on affected windows and anti-fungal paint applied (PT)

5. Worship

5.1 Messy Church Monday 30.11.15. Advent calendars will be distributed and the remainder sold at lunch on 7.12.

5.2 Christmas Party; Mon 28th

5.3 20.12.15 Breakfast at the manse before the service

5.4 It was decided to use the chalet for services during December, January and February.

5.5 Service: Kilchoan have suggested service time change. No details available. No disagreement in principle but KS would need details before agreeing.

5.6 Services; Glenborrodale Dec 9th at 6pm

Time to Remember Dec 11th 11.00 am

Peninsula carols Dec 13th at 7.00 pm

Christmas Eve 7pm

Christmas day 10.30 am

Christian Unity Jan 18th at 11.00 am in Resource Centre

6. Kirk Session dates

12.2.16

8.4.16

17.6.16

16.9.16

18.11.16 all at 10.00 am for coffee to convene at 10.30 for business

8. AOB

8.1Recent visits; Moderator’s visit went well – thanks to all involved. There was a visit to Lochaber from 3 members of the Emmasdale Church in Zambia in early November and there will be a reciprocal visit to Zambia by representatives from Lochaber next year.

8.2 Joint working with the Free Church; The God Question in Kilchoan was well accepted and a course in Lent in Acharacle is being considered.

Joint future plans; Christmas unwrapped in Acharacle Primary

Summer holiday club in Kilchoan

8.3 Amazon Project; FO will be away for 3 Sundays (Jan 17th,24th, 31st) and cover is arranged. All permissions are in place.

8.4 Existing graveyard; there has been a query about responsibility for the maintenance of Parliamentary Church graveyards. It may necessitate a transfer of the land title to HC.

8.5 Dates for Shielbridge Hall need to be booked (FO and EG)

8.6 Local Church Review; Acharacle and Ardnamurchan are due for LCR in 2016.

8.7 Information about conferences which may be of interest are on the church notice board.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on February 12th 2016 at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk

2015 - Sept 11th

1

At Acharacle, and within the manse, on Friday, the eleventh of September 2015, at 10.30 am which place, date and time the Kirk Session convened and was constituted with scripture and prayer by the Convener Rev Fiona Ogg.

  1. Sederunt, Apologies, Welcome

1.1Rev Fiona Ogg (minister), Ken Gill, Marjory MacGillivray, David and Maureen Webber (Elders) and Ella Gill (Session Clerk and minute secretary).

1.2Apologies; David Ogg (treasurer)

  1. Minutes and Matters arising from minutes of 26.6.15

2.1The Minutes of 26.6.15 were accepted as a true record.

2.2F.O has completed the safeguarding requirements and documentation is in place.

2.3Harvest service has been moved to 11.00 am on September 20th.

3.Finance

3.1 Summary of finances attached to these minutes.

3.2 There are no more gift aid envelopes – the use of ordinary envelopes to be discussed with DO.

3.3 Presbytery dues are to be increased to £399.

3.4 A wreath is to be ordered for Remembrance Day.

4. Property

4.1 Manse:

4.1.1. The chimney has been swept

4.1.2 Exterior of kitchen and study door need to be painted

4.1.3 The outside light needs to be replaced. CM to attend.

4.1.4 A 2nd shed is to be purchased as a log store – agreed

4.2 Glebe: No change. Price for sale has not been agreed and no permission has been granted for the work to take place. EG to write to 121 that correct procedures have not been followed and there might be a case for considering increasing the area which is leased over which permission to work could be granted while the sale price is being decided.

4.3 Chalet: Damp patch has been resolved.

4.4 Church:

4.4.1 No quote from Angus McInnes for internal doors as yet.

4.4.2 GCF reviewed the cracks in the passage wall and wanted a structural report. Most likely due to disruption when drains were renewed. CARTA’s report to form basis of contract of work.(see notes from June 19th)

4.4.3 Fan: needs the filter replaced from time to time and Roddy Black (RB) to be asked to check it. Sovereign Concure 2020.

4.4.4. Advised using Sovereign Fungicheck paint on patch above entrance door.

4.4.5 Damp on external wall; ask RB to alter lead covering the top of the coping stones so it channels water out.

4.4.6 EG to get information about cost of running the heat exchanger system at St Mun’s

4.4.7 Windows: No contact from Bryden’s.

5. Worship

5.1 Children’s Communion; KS agreed with the children receiving bread and water.

5.2 Summer Preachers at Kilchoan; over the summer FO has not taken a service in Kilchoan for 10 weeks which is unsatisfactory. To be resolved next year.

5.3 Messy Church; 28th September when the Moderator and Mrs Morrison will read the story and stay for tea.

5.4 Remembrance; EG to check rota for flowers.

5.5 Christmas: Christmas Eve service at 7pm

Short Service Christmas Day

Time to Remember in Acharacle date tba

Peninsula carol Service Dec 13th

Glenborrodale date tba

5.6 Kirk Session to continue every 2 months.

6. Dates

Sept 24 – 28th Visit of the Moderator of the General Assembly; letter to go to members and adherents to inviting them to Messy Church to meet the Moderator.

Sept 28th Visit to Acharacle school, Kilchoan church and Messy Church

8. AOB

8.1 Extra safeguarding training is needed for those who trained before 2011.

8.2 Advent teas at Kilchoan.

8.3 Data Protection letter to go out to members and anyone else we have on file.

8.4 Zambian visitors coming to Lochaber from 10 – 16th November, an opportunity for hospitality to be explored.

8.5 The Lund family are visiting in February.

8.6. Dr Buchanan is going to Uganda in February. FO to see if we can help with supplies.

Adjournment

There being no further business the meeting was closed with the saying of the Grace to meet again on November 13th at 10.00 am in the chalet for the meeting at 10.30am

Rev Fiona Ogg Mrs Ella Gill

Minister Session Clerk